Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Made it to WSOP

Won the WSOP package using the STEPS tables on Party.

I have only one thing to say. I read this on Mike Sexton's book that I got on the last Party m$ cruise. Sexton has a quotation from the 3 time former world champion, Johnny Moss. I don't remember the exact words from Johnny Moss but he said that to win a tournament you gotta hang in there until the final rounds and then hope to get lucky. As I climbed through the STEPS in party his advice rang very true. In step 6, I hung in there with below average stack until the blinds got high and I got lucky. All the time I was cussing my luck and was tempted to play with inferior hands but I just hung in there and followed Johnny's advice.

I think the same is true with life. You give it your best and you hang in there and you persevere until you get lucky.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Made it to WSOP

Way to go!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:58 PM

congrats.. see you there!

it helps to be lucky. in the final table of a double shootout I won 89s vs JJ (turned a straight) and QQ vs. AA and AK all in preflop (flopped quads).

better lucky than good!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Congrats to the OP!

Since we're talking about getting hugely lucky to get into the WSOP, at one point at the final table of the B&M MTT that gave me my seat, we're 7-handed and blinds were 30k/60k with 10k antes. My stack was 80k and I had to post the BB and ante. I announced to the table that I planned on going all-in blind. EP with 300k minraises to 120k (weird), LP chipleader reraises to 400k, I merrily toss in my last two 5k chips, EP folds, LP shows QQ, and I finally discover I have J7o. Flop brings a J, turn brings another J, and I more than triple up.

From there I managed to chip away and outlast the table until I was heads up with the same chipleader. After I wrestled his stack down to about 1/2 of mine, he went all-in on the SB and I looked down to find AA vs. his A3s. The flop and turn brought a 2 and 4, but I dodged the bicycle.