Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Maple Syrup - Some OOTiots help

Wow. Do you mind me asking where you live?

tx,

Orange
Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM

I definitely agree - dealing with WalMart, Krogers, etc who would buy thousands of cases of your product is way too much of a hassle. What would you and your wife do with all that extra cash???

Do you think Bill Gates and Paul Allen said to each other when pitching the first O/S to IBM "Why bother - dealing with IBM will be such a hassle"

I know this small town guy who about 10 years ago thought flavored (non-carbonated) water would be a big hit. Everyone laughed at him and said nobody will drink this stuff and if they liked it you couldn't get it stocked at the stores. He came up with some sample recipes and then has about 1,000 cases bottled and drove around the midwest giving samples and talking orders. He now sells about $300 million of this crappy water to the big supermarkets - people love this stuff.

Go big or go home!! You'll never make any money selling small quantities of syrup from home.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Kentucky. "Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant".
Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There really are no brands as it is a crop grown mostly by local producers. Usually the stuff at BJ's and COstco is end of the year grade B syrup - not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently bought a 64oz bottle of Grade A Medium Amber syrup at Costco for $13. My wife brought some back from Canada a few years back that kicked ass on the Costco stuff, though (at about 4 times the cost).
Old 05-05-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think Bill Gates and Paul Allen said to each other when pitching the first O/S to IBM "Why bother - dealing with IBM will be such a hassle"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really up on your computer history are you?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:01 PM

SSSHHH!! Just trying to motivate syrup guy - who cares about accuracy!!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! - Bluto
Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely agree - dealing with WalMart, Krogers, etc who would buy thousands of cases of your product is way too much of a hassle. What would you and your wife do with all that extra cash???

[/ QUOTE ]

You are comparing apples to oranges. Bill Gates and the like invented things - I will be distributing someone elses product for the most part. To make any money off this I need to set a high margin.

The profit per unit is going have to be higher than walmart or Costco is willing to pay. When you deal with Walmart they basically tell you how much they want to pay and thats that. This is why you see grade B syrup in most wholesale places - its dirt cheap.

I like money as much as the next guy - but wholesaling something you make good margin on is suicide.

Thanks
Orange

Edit for grumpiness
Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
You are comparing apples to oranges. Bill Gates and the like invented things - I will be distributing someone elses product for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

microsoft didn't write ms-dos. they pitched ibm that they had an operating system developed that would work on their new pc platform, then they bought one from somebody else and gave it to ibm. they used that as a platform to go on to be the biggest software company in the world.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
microsoft didn't write ms-dos. they pitched ibm that they had an operating system developed that would work on their new pc platform, then they bought one from somebody else and gave it to ibm. they used that as a platform to go on to be the biggest software company in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know that - good stuff. Still software replication/distribution is higher margin than fixed crop distribution.

I was going to work on this last nite but ended up watching the Blue and the Gray DVD's. I need to join the procrastinators club.

Orange
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yeah i wasn't busting balls on the commercial thing, i just thought i would point out the 'ironical' part