Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Ok here\'s part 2:

I'm voting for a decent size bet you think the BB will call. Looks to me like BB has two pair, 89 maybe? With a T7 strait I'd think he'd put more pressure on you with a board where he could easily get counterfeited, or lose to a higher strait.

I think a smaller set is also a likely holding. Do you think he may be checking a smaller set in fear of a stronger hand?
It may be hard to get bets out of him with a worse hand then. He may fold to an obvious value bet. So I'd vote for a push, depending on how you view the BB will view your bet.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: This confused me - 2 parter

WOW, this one is really hard. I may well make a moderate bet into the pot if they will pounce on it. Checking can't be bad, either, really given the texture of the game. The BB would worry me, but I don't think I can avoid getting broke here.

Did I donk it?

Peace,

Joe
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 AM

The pot is huge now. If I am behind, I am not laying down, I'm cooked. I am moving in (or making a good sized value bet) right here.

Peace,

Joe
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 AM

Note: I suck

I really don't understand the big dilemma, it seems a lot easier than you guys make it out to be (Note: see note). People mentioned, and I agree that he probably doesn't have T7 or 75, so what else could he have called the flop with there. It seems highly likely he holding 66 or 88, and I would bet that turn strong to build the pot against him with a likely dominating hand. In the off-chance that he does hold the straight, are you really considering folding this hand if he bets it big? It just doesn't seem viable based on your description of him. It just seems like he'll have 66 or 88 here enough of the time to make it EV+ to build as big a pot as possible. Since its probably not gonna be a fold (IMO), I bet the turn and call a check-raise push.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:08 AM

this is a good hand. i would def bet this turn... the fact that utg+4 is so short is really important... this makes BBs flop raise way less terrifying... hes effectively moving in on the short stack... if those two guys behind you had 5k and the blind checkraised them both, i would be EXTREMELY concerned about a straight with my 99... the way the hand played out, its very possible that your flop call scared the hell out of him... im not interested in giving TT a free one either... id bet 2k. if he checkraises, call and click rebuy...
Old 05-06-2005, 02:15 AM

Matt,

okay, first off, by my count you still have like a little over $4k left on the turn right?....and he has you covered?.....

a little more info on this BB character would be helpful.....does he like to play hands like T7?.....what about 57? (probably more likely)......

from reading your account of the hand, it seems a lot like he's got a lower set than you (possibly 57).....I think YOU'VE played the hand in such a way that he has no idea what you have....all you've done is call a bunch of big bets, and he might be freaked out.....

it doesn't sound like there's any possible way this guy checkraises you on the turn in this spot with a hand you beat (and for that matter, I personally think he'd bet the turn with the nuts because with all the action/the size of the pot he knows his hand is vulnerable)......

I think the play here is to bet about $1300 (both for value and to protect the pot) and fold to an all-in......
Old 05-06-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I called. UTG+4 goes all in. BB calls (he cannot raise). I call (I cannot raise).

Pot is $2668.

Turn is an offsuit king. BB checks. BB is capable of checking a straight there and could also well have a lesser set or a draw with a pair or remotely kings.

Your action? Be specific: if you check, say why; if you bet state how much and what you will do if check-raised.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think opponent is capable of checking a straight here? That's an unorthodox move, no?

Those allins are a problem, because you're basically playing for a dry side pot if the straight comes; one of them has a 7.

That also means that neither of you can bluff a river, and if villain is on the draw you will get nothing out of him if you check the turn and he misses.

The question is, how can you maximize money on the turn:

If he has a straight, you maximize your money here by checking the turn behind.

If he's on a draw, you maximize your money by betting what you think he will (incorrectly) call on the turn.

If he's on a set, you maximize your money by moving in on the turn.

If you really think he can be checking straight, I guess checking is good.

I just don't see a made straight checking. He's gotta know that it's a dry side pot just as you do, and that if YOU are drawing he's not making money by checking. I would expect a straight to put in the same sort of "draw at me, look at these pseudo-pot odds I give you" $1500-ish bet to ensure some money gets in there before the river.

So I like that $1500 bet, which may get some sort of combo draw or 2p to call and which will get a set to raise you, a pleasing situation. And then call all-in if raised.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 AM

It just depends how much you're slinging. I sling a lot, so I'll re-raise BB here a lot. Actually, I'll bet the flop a lot. In fact, I think betting the flop is better.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 AM

you say BB is playing tight postflop.

he is playing cautious postflop or just tight?

and is he a tricky player?

all in all i can't possibly believe he's checking the straight on the turn because the way you've played your hand you either have a draw or the straight as well...no way he puts you on a set.

now the question is what is his image of you?
the real problem in this hand is the all-in players, because as long as your not a complete tool you're not going to be bluffing at a protected pot.

i think if you bet the turn he may lay down a lower set, so i might check behind to induce a worse hand to bet the river, but its marginal.

also as dumb as this may appear intuitively, if you bet into a dry side pot on the river it may look less like the nuts then if you do it on the turn.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:56 AM

I really get the feeling that BB was trying to isolate with his raise. If isolating, I'd put him on anything from TPTK to two pair to medium overpair, maybe pair and straight draw. I think I'd try around 1200 on the turn to get some value. If he checkraises, I'd read that as a trap with either probably straight or set, weighted more heavily for the straight but it depends on his image of you. Tighties will sometimes make that play w/ two pair, so although I might be getting myself into a lot of trouble my plan would be to bet 1200 and call the check raise. He'll sometimes have us drawing to 10 outs, but overall I think this line has the best equity.

Oh, and sorry for the muddled post. Work and forums can be tough to juggle sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]