Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Flop Question

Live 50 BB capped. Blinds 1/2

You have $200
Villian has $90. He is too loose preflop. Bad postflop.
Villian opens in MP for $6
4 callers to you in the BB
You call with 65 of hearts
6 to the flop

Flop is Q64 with 2 hearts
You check
Villian bets 15
Folded to you
You raise to 60

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Flop Question

Why $60? There is $36 in the pot when he bets into you for $15. If he called, he would leave $9 behind. I think that if you want to take him off his hand you should tap him. However, because there were so many callers preflop, he will likely want to get all-in no matter how much you raise if he has a hand (overpair or set) or the nut flush draw.

Although it is passive, you are getting way above the proper odds to call his flop bet. IMO I think you are risking too much with just middle pair and a baby flush draw. I would prefer to take command of the hand on the turn because you may pretty far ahead or drawing dead depending on the turn
Old 05-05-2005, 06:37 PM

Why? With stacks this shallow, wait for TPTK or the like and bust him. For the same reason, I don't like the PF call with 65s. Suited connectors and small PP's lose a lot of value in games like this.

Edit: Oops, missed the flush draw here (I'm used to those damn suit graphics.) That makes this play a lot more reasonable, but the rest of my post stands as is.

-T
Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 PM

In my head I thought he should either commit or let the hand go, and I figure I want hands like 99-JJ to fold here, so I went with a bigger raise than maybe I needed to...

What do you guys think of flat calling the flop?
My initial thought is that I would lose action when my draw comes through, and it's going to be much harder to make him fold any type of hand
Old 05-06-2005, 12:05 AM

Only thing I might do different is possibly lead out on this flop (if it was a passive table/villain) and hope to get raised so i can get my whole stack in..

I think it turned out well anyway... you were able to check/raise this flop and get villain to either commit his stack or fold his hand. The only hands that have you in bad shape are a set