Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: I like this...PVS on Lvl. 4 when well equipped.

[ QUOTE ]
pound for pound, i have seen more quality substance from PVS' posts than anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's good to have some basic rules, but you really need to know what to do in exact situations to really do well

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to know how to play in an exact level 4 situation. Play like this:

NL Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:11949528 Level:4 Blinds(50/100) - Thursday, May 05, 21:59:10 EDT 2005
Table Table 11739 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 2: shaft48 ( $2295 )
Seat 3: The_Program ( $1710 )
Seat 4: kidneb2 ( $1775 )
Seat 5: philvansexton ( $615 )
Seat 8: SueBCatcher ( $1705 )
Seat 9: bocce ( $1345 )
Seat 10: setsofclubs ( $555 )
Trny:11949528 Level:4
Blinds(50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to philvansexton [ 8h 6d ]
shaft48 folds.
The_Program folds.
kidneb2 folds.
philvansexton is all-In [615]
SueBCatcher calls [615].
bocce is all-In [1295]
setsofclubs folds.
>You have options at Table 14533 Table!.
SueBCatcher calls [730].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8c, 5c, 6h ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ]
** Dealing River ** [ 3d ]
bocce shows [ Ac, As ] a pair of aces.
philvansexton shows [ 8h, 6d ] two pairs, eights and sixes.
SueBCatcher shows [ Ah, Kd ] high card ace.
bocce wins 1460 chips from side pot #1 with a pair of aces.
philvansexton wins 1945 chips from the main pot with two pairs, eights and sixes.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:18 PM

I've done a lot thinking about these situations over the past few days, obviously my "slumping" gets into it. PVS' overgeneralization is basically correct. For me a big key is to know when you are a big stack pushing other people around and when you are a smaller stack pushing into other people. When you are a smaller stack everything changes. Most of my slump was due to playing a medish stack against bigger stacks at the wrong times. Just getting a little sloppy. Not quite choosing the stacks I was going after as well. I had way too many "pre/semi bubble" finishes. This is not exactly new to me, I learned these things a while ago, but I made mistakes while I was on tilt.

In summary:

1. I was not paying enough attention to the stack sizes I was attacking.

2. I was making moves while the blinds were not as bad as I thought.

3. I was acting like I needed to pick up blinds when I really didn't. These resulted in less SNGS where I ended at the bubble, which is where I am best.

4. Know the difference between putting pressure on yourself by looking at the blind size and thinking "oh man I don't have many BBs" and the difference between "i have him covered he will need a great hand to call here." This is the biggest to me. I was neglecting this difference and just thinking "must pick up BBs."
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 PM

What do you charge for lessons on how to hit two pair when All-In preflop as a huge dog...'cus man, I'm pretty sure I could pony up for that class... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you charge for lessons on how to hit two pair when All-In preflop as a huge dog...'cus man, I'm pretty sure I could pony up for that class... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to take those lessons too....you should open a school
Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note that he says he's "oversimplifying the strategy". That usually means it's a bad strategy to follow too closely. It's good to have some basic rules, but you really need to know what to do in exact situations to really do well, because obviously you are going to play some hands in level 4 when you don't "need" the chips. Also in level 4, the cards SHOULD be dictating your play in most situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true.

My post was directed at Voltron's problems. He knows how to play, so there's no reason for me to give him a list of starting hands.

I was just refocusing him on the big picture. He knows what he should be doing in different situations, but it sounded like he had lost his way temporarily.

During a bad streak, I end to overdo the aggressive to get back on track. There are legitimate reasons to slow down at times, but these easy to forget in the fog of a downswing.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to take those lessons too....you should open a school

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I've already posted all my SnG secrets.

I've moved on to 5/10 6max limit for tonight. We'll see if this is more profitable than SnGs based on a 1 night sample

If I had to oversimplify a strategy for 5/10 6max, it would be: "raise".
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 PM

you're not serious right?

the point i was making was that J3o is not an awful call-an-all-in/push hand without context.

posting examples is silly since you should be able to come up with these scenarios yourself.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 AM

I both agree and disagree. Yes, you don't have to pick up more chips to have FE. But there are also many opportunities where you can do so and it will only increase your FE later on. Passing them because you don't need the chips seems like it can come back and haunt you.

It's all about risk/reward. You don't have to risk your whole stack to gain chips in levels 3-4.

I do agree that is some cases it is better to treat level 4 more like level 3 instead of level 5. It is a bad habit to go into push or fold mode in level 4 in many cases, and using the basic "how to beat the 10+1" strategy doesn't make that clear enough.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 AM

One thing I try to avoid in the $55s and up, is raising to like 2.5-3x the blind in the 50-100 round when I have a medium stack and can't stand a reraise by any of the remaining opponents.

For instance KTo in the cutoff seat and 1300 chips, with all opponents having about 1000. If the blinds are 100-200 it's a clear allin, but I tend to fold in the 50-100 round in this scenario. However based on the hand value, folding would seem improper as the first player to act in a 4 handed battle. Maybe this is a decent example of what PS was talking about.