Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Please explain what I see re:various \"poker rooms\"

hello all...
I've just left my first ever online hold'em game, and I have a question. I had to create a member for the site, await my email to login, which I did, then I got $1000 play money. Then when I clicked on the Play Poker button, I got a screen with what looks like hundreds of various games for various $ amounts, both play and real $.

My question is, the site was HoldemPoker.com, and I want to know, do they "OWN" all of those rooms? Are they perhaps a 'franchisee' setup? A lease? Independant contractors? ???

I ask, as while I lost my $ quickly in the play area, I imagine that over in the real $ area, it is a similar situation....and I'd like to know more about **somehow** learning how to acquire one of those "rooms?"

Or, have I got it all backwards and does it cost like $50k to get into this area...

Jim
Old 05-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Please explain what I see re:various \"poker rooms\"

The software is part of the PokerNetwork. Go here for more info. http://pokernetwork.co.uk/home/
Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 PM

This is your first post, but doesn't look like spam, so I took a quick look and here were my impressions. Maybe someone who really knows what that site is all about can give you more info or correct any inaccuracies.

1. Probably what you saw were a bunch of different tables at different limits, both play money and real money. They weren't different rooms, just different tables all in the same room.

2. I doubt there's any business opportunity there. There are lots of dubious offers around about how to own or franchise your own poker room, but IMO these are scams or near-scams.

3. That site must not be very big, I've never heard of it and google doesn't pull up much either. Edit: so this one's part of PokerNetwork, that was not obvious from a two-minute cruise through their site. I stand by by above comment #2, unless you have a large marketing budget and some expertise in that area.

4. If you have aspirations of playing online for real money, I suggest that you pick the site you'll want to play on, experiment at the play money tables so you can learn the interface, buy a few books and read through some basic strategy threads, and then just dive in at the very lowest limits that seem realistic to you. The five largest sites are:

Partypoker
Pacificpoker
Pokerroom
Ultimatebet
Pokerstars

All of these have play money as well as real money tables. Caution: don't spend much time practicing strategy at play money tables, they'll just teach you bad habits. Use them to learn the interface, and then move over to the real money tables to work on strategy.

Hope that helps, and hope you weren't just spamming holdempoker.com.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 AM

Oh gosh...no spam attempt here at all...MOD, please delete that name if you feel it appropriate.

My question is really who OWNS that site? 1 company, who offer all of those various rooms to play in? I see that that site and many many more are all a part of the Kannawanke Gaming Commission (sic?) who have a ton of other sites that they um...manage? It looks like it costs $25k just to be 'under' their banner - tho I've no idea if that is a good thing, a necessary thing, whatever??

I am thinking however of finding out if there are any small biz opportunities for a fellow to 'add' a room to their list or whatever. Does anyone know if you 'can' do this?

Or, how would you try to capitalize on this lastest poker boom? ie I don't have the $25k...but am interested...

Jim
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM

When you say rooms, I think you mean tables. The pokernetwork owns the "tables". Players play on them through various sites, pokerroom.com, betonbet, holdempoker. Their player's generate rake and thats how those sites make their money. You obviously don't have much money, and it's not like the "poker boom" just started, that would have been about 3 years ago. You could become an affiliate who sends players to the sites. Then you would get a cut of the rake these players generate. Check out the classifieds here, see what types of businesses people have set up. Also, you could learn to play and make a couple k through sign up bonuses, reload bonuses and winnings.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:00 PM

"...and make a couple k through..."

Really? gotta do some forum readings then...

And yes, I understand that the 'network' owns the various tables (sorry guess they're not really 'rooms') and that they allow each of the various sites to make a 'rake' of the pots...

Hm...gotta be something there for even the little guy...

Will search more!

Thanks...

Jim