Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Thinking about fundamental theorem of poker

you completely missed the point. you didnt have a slight EV advantage, you had a huge one. of course you wouldnt flip your cards.

First of all, thanks for showing me a new and completely original way to misinterpret my name...brilliant! I've never seen that before!

Secondly, I'm not the one missing the point. The point of my post was, why would I give away expected value that I'm gaining simply to ensure I don't lose? If I do that every time I'm in that situation, I lose money long term.

And as an extention, I won't regret not forgoing the extra value when I lose the pot, cause I know my decisions will - in the long run - work out in my favor.

Last I checked I hadn't done anything to insult you personally, so next time you feel the need to respond to something I say - especially in a thread you haven't even started - check your attitude at the door.

- C -
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 AM

i misread your name. it was not intentional. no need to be so defensive.

but yes, you do miss the point.

[ QUOTE ]

The point of my post was, why would I give away expected value that I'm gaining simply to ensure I don't lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

in your situation, you have a huge expected value advantage. regardless of bankroll limitations, you will play that hand through every time.

as i understood it, the original post was regarding marginal +EV situations, which yours is surely not. i suspect something like a pair+flush draw vs an overpair on the flop. you might be a slight favorite, but do you want to play the hand through every time to maximize EV if you are on a short roll? maybe you'd want to take it now if you know he will fold.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:51 PM

i misread your name. it was not intentional. no need to be so defensive.

No sweat...I hear that and other names (psuasslicker is popular) a lot. I'm not usually defensive, but it's usually meant to be an insult and I thought you were flaming me for no apparent reason. No harm, no foul.

as i understood it, the original post was regarding marginal +EV situations, which yours is surely not. i suspect something like a pair+flush draw vs an overpair on the flop. you might be a slight favorite, but do you want to play the hand through every time to maximize EV if you are on a short roll? maybe you'd want to take it now if you know he will fold.

I understand the particular situation I posted was more than a marginal +EV situation (I'll argue why it's not as lop-sided as you think in a minute), but the point of it was still that I wouldn't make a -EV decision simply to ensure winning a pot. Caro directly states this in Super System 2, and it's one of the best lines and/or pieces of advice in the book...

You don't get paid to win pots, you get paid to make good decisions.

The situation would be something like this...

You sit down at a NL $1,000 table with a full stack. Folds to you in the CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you - for whatever reason - move all in with your hand. Button flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and thinks about calling. Do you flip your cards over to take down the pot, or let him call you out?

Now, not a viable example perhaps cause it's a bit unrealistic, but the point is there...marginal +EV situation for you, do you encourage him to fold or let him call? I let him call cause I'm giving away money if I don't.

And FWIW, I don't consider bankroll within these decisions because if bankroll has to be taken into account when making such a decision, then I'm playing over my head. I don't play over my head, so...

------------------------------------------------------
As to why my example isn't as lop-sided as I think you're making it out to be.

If I flip my cards over, I take the hand down right away, 100% of the time. That nets me $675 for the hand.

If I don't flip my cards over, I lose the hand 8.7% of the time, losing the $900 pot. I also take down the $900 pot 91.7% of the time. This nets out to an average profit of $743.40 per hand.

$743.40 - $675 = $68.40 additional profit per hand when I don't flip my cards and let him call. This is actually only a little more than 10% additional profit over the $675 pot I'd take down if I flip my card over.

So, while I'm a huge favorite in the hand, the +EV advantage I have in getting called is actually only about 10.1% additional profit.

- C -