Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:23 PM

Default 3/6 - best decision?

You're playing a 3-6 hold'em ring game. You have K8s and you're stupid.

UTG limps, someone raises, you cold-call, everyone folds to the blinds, both blinds call, the limper calls.

Flop comes Q-8-5 rainbow, but the 5 is your suit, giving you a backdoor flush draw. Limper checks and the pre-flop raiser bets. It's your turn.

What do you do?

discussing this with a few friends right now. Barring reads and any other information, what's the clear choice?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: 3/6 - best decision?

Middle pair, overcard, b/d flush. This seems very similar to the hand from SSHE. Raise.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Middle pair, overcard, b/d flush. This seems very similar to the hand from SSHE. Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i think its the same hand with maybe a card or two switched. For some reason it just felt smarter to call and see how what the turn brings here to me. But, seems that i'm wrong.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:43 PM

I would raise. This pot is 3 handed, so its likely the pf raiser is going to autobet here. Its a really ragged board and you probably have the best hand, push UTG out to increase your chances of taking it down if you're ahead. Play on from there.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:53 PM

I think this is one of those classic situations where playing bad cards pre-flop necessitates an extremely agressive line from then forward in order to maximize expectation.

So, go ahead and raise. Your equity cushion is good enough that you're not losing a lot equity-wise if you're behind. You certainly want to fold out hands like 99 or A8, and definitely don't want someone with AJ or the like hanging around. Getting this from three-handed to two-handed will usually increase your equity quite a bit, certainly more than the cost of the raise in most situations.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Raise.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 PM

That's what I said told him... here's what I responded with:

I raise for a few reasons. I have MPGK (mid-pair good kicker), I want to knock out players behind me that have a weak draw or a small-mid pair. Also, I want to see the aggression of preflop bettor after I've raised him. If I have a read on him already, I know what his aggression factor is like... and this is a cheap way for me to determine what he's likely to hold.

Also, if others fold behind to my raise, I check it through on the turn UI... as he's likely to attempt a check-raise on the turn.