Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Another $%@* KK post

This seems to be happening to me alot.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

CO (t790)
Hero (t775)
SB (t785)
BB (t785)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t505)
UTG+2 (t1160)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t135</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls t120, MP3 folds.

Flop: (t325) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero???
Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Another $%@* KK post

I'm assuming this is a low buy-in tournament, so:

Hero bets t150-175, and shuts it down if called. Players here LOVE their aces, so I have found that it is +EV to assume that villain has if he calls a raise. That said, you still have to bet here. If he calls your bet he MAY be on a club draw, but the ace is more likely, and he WILL call you down with ATo.

It's tough not to fall in love with your big starting hands, but I was looking at my 9-10 finishes last night, and a good number of them come when I refuse to believe that some clown called my PF raise with 97o, and flopped a str8.

Sam
Old 05-05-2005, 10:12 AM

Definitely bet about half the pot. If the villian doesn't have an ace, it's likely he'll fold. In a low buyin, villian is probably calling down with any ace, so if he calls I go into check-fold mode.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Here is my advice. In terms of your bet. Pretend you have AK. If you had AK here how much would you bet? You need to act the way you would if you had strength. IMO, if I had AK with two clubs on the flop, I'd bet the pot. At least 300. If you get called or raised, you're done with this hand. If villain had AJ or better, he leads out here. If he has a weaker ace he checks, looking for weakness. If he has anything else, he's done with this hand if you bet.

Same thing happened to me last night in a MTT. Full table, monster blinds, and I was dealt QQ. I raised to 4xBB, and SB called. Flop came ace high. Checked to me, and I bet the pot and took it down. This happens often by the way.

PS - if there are more than one other person in the hand, I would be much more likely to muck, check behind, etc. Reason being is that I'm less likely to make a serious bet with three+ people, and I always seem to get check-raised. They probably smell weakness, but who knows.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my advice. In terms of your bet. Pretend you have AK. If you had AK here how much would you bet? You need to act the way you would if you had strength. IMO, if I had AK with two clubs on the flop, I'd bet the pot. At least 300. If you get called or raised, you're done with this hand. If villain had AJ or better, he leads out here. If he has a weaker ace he checks, looking for weakness. If he has anything else, he's done with this hand if you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP only has 640 left. Betting 300 seems excessive. Maybe 200.

A lot of weak players will just check down something like TT here. Therefore, checking isn't really that bad. If he checks the turn, you can bet 200 on the turn, or just keep checking.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM

You have to bet here. Since you raised pre-flop its very unlikely that he has a 5, so you can put him on a club draw, a weak ace, or squat. A pot sized (or just under) bet will give you a better idea of where you stand. If you check to him and he bets the turn, you'll have no idea where you stand in the hand.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:48 PM

At first I was like, 'yeah I agree' and then I saw you say to bet at least 300. If I had AK here, I'm not betting 300. Anyone that is sticking around for 200 on a club draw has a very good chance of sticking around for 300 on a club draw. I'd bet 2/3 of the pot with AK, and that's probably what I do here.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:33 PM

Well, I'm curious what buyin this is.

PVS, I don't disagree with your post. Especially with regard to the bet size. I marginally disagree with Hummus on the flush draw point, especially if villain has something like QJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. But, I will cede this point.

But to checking it down, I wholeheartedly don't agree with checking it down here. I think you have to bet. I don't want to give villain two free cards to complete a fullboat.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:58 PM

I don't want to give free cards either, but that's not my main concern. Given our stack size, I can't worry about such things. If he hits his 22:1 boat or his 5:1 flush on the turn, he'll bet and I'll fold. Oh well.

I'm much more worried that checking will allow him to bet and take the pot away from me on the turn. Against the passive player that he appears to be, you can often risk that.

It's pretty borderline. Betting 200 leaves you with 440. Pretty crappy, but workable I guess.

Depending on my mood, I sometimes prefer to be a bit more sure that he doesn't have an Ace before I commit more money to this hand. I can do this by checking and seeing what he does on the turn.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on my mood, I sometimes prefer to be a bit more sure that he doesn't have an Ace before I commit more money to this hand. I can do this by checking and seeing what he does on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk more. Let's say villain bets the turn. You don't know if he has an Ace or TT. I am of the opinion that you're through with this hand if he bets, is that correct?

I know that weak-tight play is very advantageous in tournaments, and I regularly employ that. Furthermore, the hand range that villain calls a large raise with includes many aces. That being said, which ace hands do you think villain checks the flop on? What is the likely thought process of villain if he does have a hand like A7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (after he's checked)?

This line of thinking, btw, is what has lead me to bet the pot here, not less.