Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2003, 06:28 PM

Default 6-12 Hand

Very good 6-12 with some fairly bad players. No one really over aggressive, lot of calling, little raising.

I am dealt Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] in mid position. I limp after 2 or 3 early limpers. A somewhat sane player raises after two more limpers, all call to player on my left who 3-bets and yatta-yatta-yatta its capped 6 or 7 way.

Flop Q72 rainbow with one heart.
Checked to player on my right who bets and I call. 3 more call and it is now 5 to the turn.
Turn: 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] .
Player on my right bets again, I raise, get one cold caller and orginal bettor calls.
River:A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
Player on my right bets five and all in. I call, other player folds.

Comments on my play on every street please.

Cosmo
Old 03-29-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: 6-12 Hand

Preflop, you got trapped on the installment plan, it hurts, but what are you going to do.

Flop, the pot is huge, and I don't think a raise here is going to eliminate a lot of players, and so I think that you probably want to call with the intention of raising the turn. I like the call here.

Turn, your hand got a lot better, and I like your raise here.

River, I would call here also.

I would play this hand as you did, I suspect also that your opponent had the better hand, but you really can't fold here with some reasonable possibility that you hand is good.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:34 PM

hi cosmo,
best post so far tonight. you have a borderline raise to make here on the flop. you're o.k. pre-flop, don't see any problem there...o.k., you've got a mandatory raise on the flop.

yea, you have a mandatory raise on the flop. the opponent on your immediate left is out, s you can't count him in anymore. and you're starting to be able to throw your weight around a little. you must take control now.

no, you're not in the lead, and i peeked and see that he's got the AJs. well cos, you must raise the flop. you're not that far away from being able to call, waiting for turn to raise out then. but,you must know that you're immediate left has thrown in the towel, and you must know that you cannot count every player who has checked as still being in this one. yea, it's borderline-ish.

the problem you have is that AJs on your immediate right. you know what, i'd go ahead and trust my instincts on this one and raise out here. on the flop.

on the turn, he ain't going nowhere, go ahead and call.

yea, there it is. well ya gotta call the river cos.

you played well. i do like that line of waiting for the turn before raising your opponents out using the bettor on the right, when you're in mainland china. here, you can safely assume a 4- or so way, and because you are beaten by the opponent on your right, and will lose to him ultimately, raise out on the inexpensive round. if, however, you're going to win unless 94o teams up with J2s for the triple reverser, standing on one leg, yea.....wait for turn. but if they weren't really serious in the first place and just see what you'd do if they didn't fold pre-flop, then go ahead and raise them out on the flop, especially if you won't win the hand anyway.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:59 AM

I think you played it fine. As Bob said, it doesn't look like you could do much about the preflop ugliness.

It's hard to think you have the winner on the river, but given the zillion - 1 (I didn't actually count, but I think that's pretty close) pot odds you are getting, it's an easy call.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:18 AM

Default Results and Comments

All-in showed Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] and my hand was good. Bob T. had the same thinking I did. I didn't feel a raise on the flop would lose anyone, so I decided to wait until the turn. I planned on raising the turn no matter what(unless an A came), the fact that it was a heart just made my hand stronger. I thought I was beat when he bet all in but I got lucky. Thanks.