Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 10:49 AM

Default 2 $1/2 NL hands

This is my first post but I've been observing for a while.

I don't have the benefit of fancy pokertracker hand histories, but made 2 laydowns last night that have been bugging me and I wanted to get some thoughts.

Hand 1:

First hand that I sit down, I post from LP, and get dealt J-10 spades. Everyone folds to me - I make it $8, BB is the only caller. Flop comes 10-3-2, with 2 clubs and a spade. I bet $15, he check-raises to 30, I make it $55, and he moves all in, making it about $95 for me to call. Welcome to the game Pauly!

Hand 2:

I'm in LP with AJ spades, first playable hand I've been dealt in a while. The player to my left (MP) opens with a raise to $8 (he's been raising a lot), I make it $18, BB cold calls, and initial raiser calls. Flop is 7A7, no spade. BB bets $20, MP calls, I make it $50, BB makes it $100 with a min raise, and about $75 left after his raise.

Does anyone think I should have moved in or called on either of these? I am thinking that hand 1 may have been KK?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: 2 $1/2 NL hands

One mistake - I actually thought hand 2 was KK, not hand 1, hand 1 I am still unsure about.

Addendum - hand 2, MP folded after the raising.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Hand 1 call the min-raise and realize you're drawing: your backdoor flush draw and top pair is about a 2.8 to 1 dog to an overpair. If a blank comes on the turn fold if a j or t comes you're in great shape if a club comes you're 2:1 dog (14 outs) which allows you to call a pot size bet. Don't reraise-- what are you ahead of that can call your reraise?
Hand 2 don't put the guy on kings unless the guy plays his underpairs completely different than ak. On pure combinations its 4:3 that he has ak and most people with kk get scared when an ace comes out not try to put all the chips in the middle. Again don't reraise preflop; what do people call reraises with? Big Aces and Big pocket pair? What do you want in? Small Aces and Paint cards. Good Luck at the tables!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 PM

For starters, post these limits in Small Stakes NL . You will get better responses, since small stakes and mid-high stakes play so differently.

As for the hands:

Hand 1: Don't post in LP. Don't raise a great drawing hand like TJs (very often). You want more callers with this hand, and unless you are familiar with the other players and vice versa, and doing so for deception value, it is better to limp with it, especially in LP. The flop bet is fine. The 3 bet is bad without a read, and folding is clearly the best option here after his push.

Hand 2: Re-raise PF is fine for isolation value. We need reads on the players to make educated decisions past this point. If I go on basic 1/2 players, BB's cold call scares me, and his continued aggression on the flop must be AK, as no other hand makes sense. you have to fold here to his 3bet, as you are likely drawing very thin.

-T