Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Subconcious programming and action? Poker ESP?

I was actually talking about a specific hand that I played. I had AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I bet he raises I call, Exposed burn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, He calls. River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He Bets,(Here is the automatic action I'm talking about) I raise, He mucks.

The information i have about this guy is that he is somewhat loose-aggressive. folded 1/3 of his rivers, mucked about 9/10 of his showdowns. I think that he is a good player because he has shown that he is thinking on a level at least a little higher than the table. I also think he knows that I don't have the case 8. I know that if he reraises me, he has be beat with trips or A-10, yet I make that automatic "semi-bluff" if you want to call it that anyway.

The problem is that even though I wasn't thinking about all of the information on the river, I still made the raise anyway.

A thought just came to me. I looked at all of this information during the hand before the river. I may have made my decision based on what I already thought of earlier in the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, I just wanted to show you guys the case. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:11 PM

you should really read some books on poker because unless you made a cognitive error while creating your post, esp wont do you much good.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 AM

I read somewhere that the brain picks up 1 million bits of information per second. Some players hone fantastic reading skills. Develop yours.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that the brain picks up 1 million bits of information per second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I guess I just read this somewhere also. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that the brain picks up 1 million bits of information per second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I guess I just read this somewhere also. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that our unconscious mind (well maybe not yours but mine) is a very powerful tool.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you should really read some books on poker because unless you made a cognitive error while creating your post, esp wont do you much good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with one and disagree with the other.

If an opponent knows precisely how much I actually like my hand, that opponent must have a significant advantage. I can see where he could get confused when I semibluff with a strong draw, though.

This is a case where I really like my as yet unmade hand, and I am confident that "bluffing" is the correct move, so anyone "empathizing" me without solid knowledge of poker strategy would think I have a made monster.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually talking about a specific hand that I played. I had AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I bet he raises I call, Exposed burn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, He calls. River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He Bets,(Here is the automatic action I'm talking about) I raise, He mucks.

The information i have about this guy is that he is somewhat loose-aggressive. folded 1/3 of his rivers, mucked about 9/10 of his showdowns. I think that he is a good player because he has shown that he is thinking on a level at least a little higher than the table. I also think he knows that I don't have the case 8. I know that if he reraises me, he has be beat with trips or A-10, yet I make that automatic "semi-bluff" if you want to call it that anyway.

The problem is that even though I wasn't thinking about all of the information on the river, I still made the raise anyway.

A thought just came to me. I looked at all of this information during the hand before the river. I may have made my decision based on what I already thought of earlier in the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, I just wanted to show you guys the case. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

for those that didnt know what i was referring to, it was this post, not the original one. i wasnt trying to be a jerk btw, i was just trying to help.