Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Profitabilty of party\'s 1/2 games.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got the SSH starting hands down cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know those are just rough guidelines, right? It's not intended to be followed as gospel.

[ QUOTE ]
My PT stats are VP$IP of 15% (I play tight)

[/ QUOTE ]

Too tight... You're missing out on about 25% of the profitable hands if you're that tight.

[ QUOTE ]
But I did discover a leak, afterall: game selection. In my PT database of 11K hands, all at 1/2 limit on Party, I found that 3.3 players on average see the flop and that 50 percent of all pots are raised preflop. According to Carson's game categorization criteria in _The Complete Book of Texas Hold'em_ this is a Tight Aggressive game and is classified as a "tough game" not even "marginal" in terms of profitability. So...What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with Carson's book, but he those two factors alone do not really tell you enough to know how tough a game is. You need to look into the postflop play. Almost certainly, those guidelines are given for mid-limit games where players make fewer postflop mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]
Another observation-- it seems that games with these types of loose/tight and passive/aggressive stats are more suitable to the types of game HPFAP and middle limit holdem are geared at defeating, not so much SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH teaches you how to play in big pots and against poor players. The concepts (at the abstract level) are applicable to all levels, but you need to know when they do and do not apply. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a conceptual basis in HPFAP, but you would want to know that your opponents play well postflop before employing the fancier plays.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming the spikes are weekend days?

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely just days where I didn't play (or observe) many hands, and happened to be on a loose table. Here's the breakout by day of week and time of day. Pretty intuitive, although it seems that the time of day is a bigger driver of loose play than the day of week. (Time of day is eastern time zone)

Old 05-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Is .5/1.00 really that much more beatable than 1/2? I've been hearing mixed views. Some say 1/2 is MUCH tougher and some say it is only a little tougher and that they are basically the same.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 PM

You just have to learn to adjust to a tight game. This means blind stealing, blind defense, and not having the fish pay you off as often.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:37 PM

yes
no
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 AM

An excellent primer. good stuff.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:50 AM

When I was clearing the PokerNow bonus the game wass much tighter in the afternoon than it was at night.