Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Turn
Check 10 45.45%
Bet $2-18 1 4.55%
Bet $18-40 4 18.18%
Move In 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Poll: IQ

nice catch.....GET IT

EDIT: of course u dont with ur miniscule iq of 60
Old 05-03-2005, 06:36 PM

Anyone who takes IQ tests seriously is an idiot in my books.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks this must have a low IQ acore.

Recognizing patterns is a very important part of intelligence and poker. Intelligent people are probably better at calculating odds quickly which is helpful to play poker. But non IQ skills such as patience, discipline and a large set of balls are probably more important skills.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are opposing trends as well. It has been observed that most leaders must be within 20 IQ points of their followers; more specifically that people empathize and understand people closer to their IQ better. This is why people with 160+ IQs often go nowhere in society so to speak. They can think well but can't socialize meaningfully. They just don't have a proper peer group and thus don't learn certain skills. I believe making a good read is in a sense getting inside the opponents head. This may be one reason very high IQ individuals are not always rewarded in poker. Not being able to emulate another's thinking is a serious handicap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I drink on dates. We can find each other extremely engaging when I'm a little drunk. On the other hand conversation can be intolerably boring for both parties when I'm sober.

I also find that I sometimes play better poker when drinking. I used to think it was just enabling me to be a bolder player. Now I think it is because I am a little more in tune with the opponents.

Drinking helps to narrow the >20 gap.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But non IQ skills such as patience, discipline and a large set of balls are probably more important skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these are acquirable skills. I am the perfect example of this.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drinking helps to narrow the >20 gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This also helps with passive driving.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks this must have a low IQ acore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be curious about IQ and the value of the tests so I took the MENSA test here in Sweden called Ravens advanced progressive matrices and scored 156 SD24. Anyhow I was disappointed in their test as it seems to merely mesure puzzle solving ability(maybe they should call it puzzle solving quotient PSQ). In my humble opinion intelligence is a far too complex of a thing to measure with a pen and paper test.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 PM

such an arrogant view of the world.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be curious about IQ and the value of the tests so I took the MENSA test here in Sweden called Ravens advanced progressive matrices and scored 156 SD24. Anyhow I was disappointed in their test as it seems to merely mesure puzzle solving ability(maybe they should call it puzzle solving quotient PSQ). In my humble opinion intelligence is a far too complex of a thing to measure with a pen and paper test.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good post. In addition to you what you just said, I think that being able to effectively "think outside the box" is a sub-category of intelligence. How can you measure that?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Everyone agrees that there is something called intelligence. So if it exists, we should be able to measure it. That's pretty much where the agreement ends. My personal opinion is that IQ measures the ability to learn.

One of the problems with intelligence is that caucasians tend to score higher on standardized test than some minorities, meaning African-Americans and Latin Americans. East Asians tend to score higher. So, is IQ distributed differently by race? Is one race genetically superior to another, or is testing, like the IQ and SAT test, racially biased? Its hard to have an intelligent discussion about such an emotional subject.

So, does IQ decline with age? There are volumes of literature supporting whatever position you want to take.

Is intelligence hereditary? Does it have a genetic component? What is a thought? What exactly is an idea? Perhaps quantum physics will come up with some answers. Since it is possible to be in two places at the same time and possible to be both alive and dead at the same time I'm no longer sure about anything.