Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: PlayerView/GameTime+ Alternative

[ QUOTE ]
What is the over/under on the time that the OP to realize that the amount of work required makes $50 for PV seem like a good deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point, hopefully the OP keeps in mind that a decent mid-level software developer makes $40-50 dollars an hour as a consultant. Unless he codes this up in 30 minutes, I see this as a bit -EV.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:33 PM

I never implied he had no right to charge what he sees fit.

I am disappointed that he'd charge such an exorbitant amount for a product which I find useful, especially when there's a perfectly good free alternative.

You'd be pretty pissed if you drank Coke, then woke up one morning and found out that it cost 50 times more than Pepsi.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:36 PM

Suggestions:

Only support one database (PostgreSQL is around the corner).

Access the database through ODBC.

Ideally avoid .Net and Java. C++ is really the best way for this app which has to make so many calls to system dll's.

Do not used a hard-wired query.
(Store it as a textfile that the user could switch in a more complex query.)

At first, do not bother with a overlay designer. Storing the information in an XML textfile would be one way.

Automatically pick-up tables as they exist rather than the manual add of GT+.

Consider an open-source project like SourceForge.net
Old 05-03-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be pretty pissed if you drank Coke, then woke up one morning and found out that it cost 50 times more than Pepsi.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would not be pissed at all. If the product was worth it, I would pay for it. If it wasn't, I wouldn't pay for it.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:45 PM

Okay, it looks like I need to clarify some things.

I'm not doing this to "stick it" to Amir. He has every right to charge anything he pleases. I think the price is unfair. Therefore, I will not pay the price.

Because there are others that feel the same as I do, there's a void now. GameTime+ does not fill this void for me. Therefore, I am using my skills as a software developer to create an alternative.

"What is the over/under on the time that the OP to realize that the amount of work required makes $50 for PV seem like a good deal?"

Yes, if I just wanted the functionality for myself, I would pay the $50. However, I saw that a lot of people were unhappy with the price. Therefore, my application will be used by more than just me. I don't think I can whip up this application in a day or two, it will take some work. However, I think people are overestimating the complexity of such an application.

I'm not really doing this to make a buck. I play poker for a living now and I have ample free time. This gives me a chance to do some development (my previous full time job) as well as creating something that many people can use. If I put enough work and functionality into it that I feel I need to sell it, then so be it.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:48 PM

I don't exactly get what all this fuss is about, GT+ is out there right now for free and when I originally checked out PV and GT I felt GT was the better option anyway. I don't know exactly what features are missing in GT+ that PV uses other than the showdown cards and I can't imagine many other features that can be added to the program without it creating clutter on the screen. I also agree calling Amir greedy is unbelievable, he has worked on the program for many months now and spent god knows how many hours working on all of the bugs and listening to people's complaints while expecting nothing in return, and now when he tries to get some compensation for his hard work he is called greedy.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One very cool thing in PV that GT+ doesn't have (as far as I can tell) is the hands that people where holding last round (can be read in directly from the HH files). This should be easy to add on and is the only reason I would even consider getting PV over GT+...

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking something like this combined with an odds calculator could lead to a nice "auto-berate" function that would automatically spam the chat box with pre-selected messages anytime the probability of your hand winning from the turn --> river decreased by greater than XX%. That would really save me the time and effort.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Only support one database (PostgreSQL is around the corner).

It won't be much more work to support multiple databases. It keeps it backwards compatible with older versions of PT too.

Access the database through ODBC.

That was my plan.

Ideally avoid .Net and Java. C++ is really the best way for this app which has to make so many calls to system dll's.

I am a die-hard C++ developer. Look for low memory usage and blazing speed.

Do not used a hard-wired query.
(Store it as a textfile that the user could switch in a more complex query.)

Did I mention I like things customizable and flexible? This was a given.

At first, do not bother with a overlay designer. Storing the information in an XML textfile would be one way.

This won't be the first thing I work on, but it will make its way in pretty early in development.

Automatically pick-up tables as they exist rather than the manual add of GT+.

One reason I don't like GT+. Count on this feature.

Consider an open-source project like SourceForge.net

If I decide to keep it free, I will go this route. Give me some time to get into the development first.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I would not be pissed at all. If the product was worth it, I would pay for it. If it wasn't, I wouldn't pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So being faced with the choice of:

1. Having to pay an exorbitant fee to continue using a product you enjoy

or

2. Having to stop using that product because it just isn't worth the cost

wouldn't piss you off? I have a feeling that it would.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

So being faced with the choice of:

1. Having to pay an exorbitant fee to continue using a product you enjoy

or

2. Having to stop using that product because it just isn't worth the cost

wouldn't piss you off? I have a feeling that it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's capitalism. If you let that piss you off, you're in for a long life of being pissed.

There are plenty of things I'd like to have, but whose price I consider exorbidant. I've come to terms with that.