Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: NL Money game books

[ QUOTE ]

I'm skeptical about the Ciaffone and Reuben book. Who are those guys anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

And the reason for your skepticism is.....[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Many people consider that book to be the best work on big-bet cash games published to date (admittedly a small field). A search here or on Google would produce a great deal of information as to the credentials and credibility of "those guys".

As the dear old nuns used to say in parochial school when a student asked the meaning of a word, "Look it up. You'll really learn it that way."
Old 05-02-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: NL Money game books

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well, Grasshopper. Your persistence has impressed me. Book Recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That book is appropriate to the discussion. Kids new to that particular indoor sport think that they have discovered something no one else ever thought of. Same with many of those new to these forums. If the question isn't covered in today's posts, then obviously no one ever thought of it before.

Good luck in beating your head against that wall.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Here\'s a brand new one.

Check out Mastering No-Limit Hold'em (on amazon.com at http://tinyurl.com/99ljm). It's a guide to the common fixed buy-in cash games of today. There is no tournament content. The book is a defined, common sense approach to beating these games.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Here\'s a brand new one.

Hi 77:

In the future when touting your own book you need to identify that you are one of the authors.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 PM

Mason, please accept my apologies. I assumed it was known due to a prior post. It won't happen again.

Scott Harker
Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 AM

Has anyone actually read Mastering No Limit Hold'em? I've heard some great reviews, although all of them come from the authors. I am very curious about this book and would like to know if I should spend my money on that or HOH1. And who are the guys who wrote it? Anyone ever hear of them? Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:40 AM

Of course the authors like it, but we want readers to make up their own minds and post their own reviews. I didn't think I was praising the book too lavishly. I apologize if it came out that way.

There are several great books discussing NL, and I've heard 2+2 has one in the works as well, which I'm sure will be a must-read. I really like Ciaffone's book. And for tournaments, HOH1 is simply outstanding. IMO, it's a must-have book.

I'm really hoping a few people will review our book. We're successful cash game players, not big-name tournament pros, so there's really not much to say about the authors.

I hope that helps a little. My rule of thumb is to buy as many poker books as I can, and if I can get a couple good ideas out of a book, it was worth it. So, I buy almost all of them.

Good luck.

Scott Harker
Old 05-03-2005, 12:57 AM

Its not that you gave it to lavish of praise, it is that you are the only one who ive seen say anything on these boards.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM

That's a good point. A lot of people who bought the book haven't received it yet since it just became available May 1. I just wanted to mention the book since many players don't know it is out there.

I'm guessing you'll see a review or two soon.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:01 PM

I have just received my copy the other day. So far I'm only on page 45 so a review would be a bit premature.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way. I like it. I haven't read anything in it that I haven't read somewhere else before yet, but I'm just getting started. The book reads well and I haven't seen anything that makes me go "are you kidding". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would say if you haven't read much yet get the book. If you read most everything you can get your hands on if it looks half way decent, get the book (you know you will anyhow). If you have read what you feel is more than enough and don't want any review, skip the book. You know everything anyhow, by the way where do you play? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do have one question for Scott or Russell though. When looking at pot odds after the flop, you use the odds of making your hand on the turn vs turn + river. Is that what you would recommend or as with most things poker "it depends"? I could see using the next card odds if you expect the turn be to be large enough to keep your odds low, but using the odds for turn and river combined if you think your opponent will bet small enough that your odds for the river will be better (meaning you will likely take off another card anyhow). Naturally I think you would want to use the odds for the turn and river if the bet puts you all in.

Mike