Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 06:32 AM

Default AQ suited hand...

UTG+1 is a typical loose passive party poker player(my stats say he is passive but thats not too reliable this early), UTG is a LAG don't have to worry too much about his raises. I'm not too sure what type of player BB is, seems pretty donkish though.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

I probably should have 3-bet this pre-flop. Oh well.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero???

I called planning on raising a non club turn.
Facing 2 checkraises, what should hero do here?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Re: AQ suited hand...

I might 3-bet preflop depending on the raiser. Either way, I'm raising the flop bet by UTG+1.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:45 AM

3bet preflop. The hand plays differently after that.
The way you played it, I think I'd fold.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:50 AM

Firstly, I'd 3-bet preflop.

I can't help but think that UTG has a two and is proctecting his hand from the flush draw. Then again, according to your read he is a LAG and not a tight player, this is not very likely and UTG is betting his ace here.

Honestly, I don't know what to do...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:00 AM

AQo is an easy 3-bet PF against an average player. Here you have AQs! Please 3-bet this.

I'm raising the flop first time around. Your reason for not raising the flop was to wait for a non-club turn... well, your equity on the flop against a flush is still very high. It's higher on a non-club turn, but this edge is far too big to sacrifice. You are giving up a lot of value by not raising here, and also you want to protect your hand too. If someone doesn't have a 2, you're in fantastic shape.

A raise might help better determine where you stand in this hand with that regard. The big problem here is you've just called along without defining your hand.

When it's your turn to act here, I'm calling and reevaluating on the turn. I want to see a showdown.

BB could very easily be on a flush draw (he check-raised, knowing the likely bet was coming from close to his left, so this isn't a protection check-raise) and UTG+1 already liked his hand. He could have a high pair or a big ace. You have the backdoor flush draw as well. A 2 is possible but unlikely, and I'm not ready to give this up just yet.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AQo is an easy 3-bet PF against an average player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I don't think AQo is a easy 3-bet at all, maybe if you have a good read that the opponent is a loose raiser.
I usually 3-bet AQ suited, but didn't this time.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:55 AM

sorry man, this hand is played so bad, i really couldn't tell you what to do.

3-bet preflop.
raise the flop.

from here, you could fold and it might be wrong or be passive/aggressive and it would be expensively wrong. no real way to tell. does BB have a 2? or an A? UTG just LAGGING with KK or legit AK or the unlikely trip Aces for a flopped full house?

...you know what? i'll call! why not?! see what the turn brings and you have position on both flop bettors. what's really going to suck though is when it gets capped behind you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 09:27 AM

I know I played this hand bad, thats why I posted it. I have been trying to apply some concepts, but aparently have been doing them at the wrong times. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess in this hand the pot is not big enough and the board is not scary enough to wait for the turn to protect.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, I don't think AQo is a easy 3-bet at all, maybe if you have a good read that the opponent is a loose raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate the strength of AQo. The only extra hand you're worried about from AKo is... AKo. People raise with lots more than AKo and AA - QQ. Not 3-betting this is a significant error in my opinion.

However, if you're not willing to 3-bet AQo, then you really should fold it. Calling against a raise is the worst choice of the 3.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 AM

I raise PF because of the number of players behind. There's no way you're ahead on the flop with tpdk. You have no way to protect that hand and should bow out at this point. I think you have 2 outs.