Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Subconcious programming and action? Poker ESP?

At the table (B&M 3/6LHE) I find myself sometimes acting without even thinking and making the right move. While I am scrutinizing the table, I conciously acknowledge some habits that other players have, but sometimes when it comes time for me to make a decision, my hand moves to my chips automatically and my brain kind of goes on autopilot just counting out the chips. Is this normal? Can I really act out of my subconcious rather than concious? Will this hurt me in the long run? Thanks for answers.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Subconcious programming and action? Poker ESP?

I would say make sure you are playing solid poker when you do this or it will cost you. I believe in subconscious tells, AKA instinct, not exactly esp, just tells your opponents exhibit and you pick up without your conscious mind entering the picture. If you have a gift, I think you should use it, just be careful.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 PM

What exactly do you mean? Is it subconscious or unconscious? I don't think it's necessary to speculate here (if those things even exist).

I think you will benefit from making the reasons for your actions specific in language. That way, when things do go wrong, you can better analyze the errors in your reasoning process. You can call this "spelling-out," e.g. when you accompany an action with language that explains it. Just because you don't spell-out an action does not mean it's necessary that the same cognitive process is happening "subconsciously" or "unconsciously."

btw, what does this have to do with esp? So far as empirical psychology is concerned, I don't think it is yet required for explanations of social-psychological phenomena.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it subconscious or unconscious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe un-selfconscious is a better term.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it subconscious or unconscious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe un-selfconscious is a better term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly said!

No self-talk, playing relaxed yet alert, being focused externally is what playing flawlessly is all about. Especially at Limit.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:14 PM

I just finished playing a hand online at a 3/6 game, and i was dealt AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I raised 3xBB, UTG folded, UTG+1 folded, and someone else called my raise. The flop came J Q 3 rainbow. He raises, i call in the span of 1 second. Turn comeS Q, he raises something big, i call right away as well. River came another Q, he goes all in, and for some reason, wihtout even thinking about it, i called, and when i snapped back to reality, i realized "WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE?" but when the cards were turned over, he had nothing but a TKo. He saw my AK and started calling me an idiot, going on about how stupid i am for calling everything when the board had trip Qs. I honestly had no clue what i was doing. Without even thinking, i was calling.

Point being, i never play like that. If i did, i think i'd be living on the streets. But, its odd how that happend to me.

Got me to thinking as well, then i saw your topic, and i went [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and i cried.

I think it's bad in the long run to be honest. Don't let yourself be ruled by subconcious decisions, or by chance i should say. "Chance doesn't choose, it proposes"
Old 05-03-2005, 05:43 PM

maybe aggressive play is so engrained into you that you automatically want to push chips into the pot. obviously if you are dazed or not attending to the moment-at-hand, you are not focused on a conscious level, but rather floating about and going through the motions. if you are not mindful of your actions, it is possible that someone at the table is begging for a call or bet, strongly urging you to do so by their thoughts, and you could very well be picking-up on that, and so you oblige them by betting. this is just an idea though. the so-called subconscious area of the mind is where telepathy or other psychic abilites, if they exist at all, may be activated or utilized, thus by-passing the conscious mind and its intentions.

certainly, if one is on a slow-play, a bet is begged from another player so a check-raise can work. how strongly is this done, from your own perspective? i would imagine very strongly, that you want the bet, beg for it, when on a slow-play or are sand-bagging. is it possible that another player reacts to that? why not? if so, it could work both ways; and if you are not focused on the moment, then you may be reacting to that instead of your own intentions and your own ideas of the correct play. (just an idea though)
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM

I was actually talking about a specific hand that I played. I had AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I bet he raises I call, Exposed burn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, He calls. River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He Bets,(Here is the automatic action I'm talking about) I raise, He mucks.

The information i have about this guy is that he is somewhat loose-aggressive. folded 1/3 of his rivers, mucked about 9/10 of his showdowns. I think that he is a good player because he has shown that he is thinking on a level at least a little higher than the table. I also think he knows that I don't have the case 8. I know that if he reraises me, he has be beat with trips or A-10, yet I make that automatic "semi-bluff" if you want to call it that anyway.

The problem is that even though I wasn't thinking about all of the information on the river, I still made the raise anyway.

A thought just came to me. I looked at all of this information during the hand before the river. I may have made my decision based on what I already thought of earlier in the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, I just wanted to show you guys the case. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:11 PM

you should really read some books on poker because unless you made a cognitive error while creating your post, esp wont do you much good.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 AM

I read somewhere that the brain picks up 1 million bits of information per second. Some players hone fantastic reading skills. Develop yours.