Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Does the +EV warrant risking tournament

So I have about 1/7th of the chip leader's stack and about 1/5th of second place. I am currently in 5/5, and in the money. I get AQs in CO. UTG is the chip leader and limps; he's been limping relatively loosely, playing about 40-45% of his hands 5 handed i would say, always limping and never raising in. I on the other hand have been playing tightly and have won my last 7 or so hands without seeing a flop. At least on two previous occasions the chip leader limped and folded when I pushed, and I had legitamate hands but never showed my cards. So I push for 6 x BB and am called. I was rethinking this hand, and am not sure if I should have been more patient to move up the money, given the size of my stack relative to the leaders. I was confident I had villain dominated at best, likely have 2 overcards to him, and at worse am up against a pocket pair. Is my push correct considering my short stack size?

PP $5 Three-table NL Hold'em Tourney
Level:8 Blinds (150/300)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: BABYBABOON ( $1870 )
Seat 5: stac999 ( $15280 )
Seat 7: HERO ( $1815 )
Seat 8: puggs2116 ( $2297 )
Seat 10: HotStakes ( $8738 )
Trny:11850970 Level:8
Blinds (150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ As Qs ]
stac999 calls [300].
HERO is all-In [1815]
puggs2116 folds.
HotStakes folds.
BABYBABOON folds.
stac999 calls [1515].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5h, 3h, Jc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2s ]
** Dealing River ** [ Td ]
stac999 shows [ 2d, Ad ] a pair of twos.
HERO shows [ As, Qs ] high card ace.
stac999 wins 4080 chips from the main pot with a pair of twos.
Player HERO finished in 5 place and received $15
Old 05-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Does the +EV warrant risking tournament

With your short stack, you're at the position to only improve. You don't have any shorter stacks that can bust and move you up significantly in money. With the blinds at that level, you basically have to push and hope to win. I don't think you can wait for others to bust, as the next time you get a hand, you never know if you can actually push anyone out. Even so, if the blinds increase, now you're in a tough spot to double up, and will probably need to double up another two times to be a factor. You played it right, but as we all know in poker, the correct play does not always get rewarded.

Bottom line, if anything is a +EV play, it is pretty much correct unless an extreme circumstance, you will make money on that AQs play in the long run, don't worry about it, especially against that maniac.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 PM

You're bringing up the rear in a 3-way tie for last with 6 BB and you pick up AQs. What else can you possibly wait for?

Not only do you push here, but you probably call someone else's push also. You don't want to steal the blinds with this hand, you want to double up.

Push and hope the limper calls.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're bringing up the rear in a 3-way tie for last with 6 BB and you pick up AQs. What else can you possibly wait for?

Not only do you push here, but you probably call someone else's push also. You don't want to steal the blinds with this hand, you want to double up.

Push and hope the limper calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-02-2005, 09:08 PM

The question you ask is: "Does the +EV warrant risking tournament?"

My answer: You aren't risking anything here - it's a MUST push in your situation. You risk a whole hell of a lot more by NOT pushing in this situation. At least with a double-up, you'll be able to get back in the game. Right now, you're on life support and this is as good as it's going to get.

Pushpushpush! Hope it worked out, although I fear it did not.