Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2003, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Pokerroom on the downhill slide?

It's the logo for the musical group Phish...I thought it might be a little funny as sometimes I have a tendency to play poker a bit fishy...As for Phish, think Grateful Dead (thirty years later) with more of a rock and roll influence. I've seen them (phish) about a dozen times in concert...although now that I'm getting "old" I can't follow them around like I used to.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
jHE

To learn more go here: www.phish.com
Old 03-26-2003, 01:46 AM

it looks like one of those cards that the mean doctor makes me tell him what it looks like. i always say it looks like brains splattered on the wall.

maybe they will let me out soon though. i hate this hospital.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:25 AM

I thought the cashout curse only applied to Paradise!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I have played there for about a year, made many cashouts, and never experienced anything I didn't think was normal fluctuation. Of course, I either leave enough to cover a moderate bad streak, or cash out all if I need the money for something else.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:31 AM

Background: I've been playing online for 3 months now, I play at pokerroom exclusively, and I normally play $2-4 or $3-6.

My first impression when I read this post was to rip on the site like the rest of you guys...I figure the more bad press pokerroom gets on 2+2, the less 2+2ers on the site to take away my cash. But I have to be honest...pokerroom has been nothing but good for me. My thoughts:

1. The downloadable software fixed all my problems, but playing from right off the site is really terrible.
2. The raked hand bonus IMO helps the games a bit. Call me inexperienced, but don't you want people sitting at your table that have been there for 18 straight hours chasing a $250 bonus? How does the bonus hurt the games? Maybe I'm just naive.
3. I've cashed out twice, and did not notice cold cards or bad beats.
3. I think the games on here are way softer than other sites. I guess I don't have any real experience on other sites, but I've observed Paradise, Party, Empire, and Stars, and none came close to the softness of pokerroom. On top of that, I think the fact that it does not work with poker tracker makes it even easier for people like me who do their homework on their opponents, because it's that much harder for opponents to do their homework on me.
4. I've actually seen a small yet steady increase in foot traffic since I started playing, and they regularly spread two or three 2-4 games and one to two 3-6 games.
5. I think what is really keeping the site back is the $1 buy-in tourney on Saturdays. They need to move back to the player-point tourneys to insure that the players getting a crack at the extra prize money are the same players who give that prize money to the site. Half the people with cash on that site only play in that tourney and don't contribute to pokerroom's bottom line.

Oh crap....I'm a shill, aren't I?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:35 AM

I have been playing at pokerroom for about a year, mostly 1-2, some 2-4. At least at those limits there is still as much selection as I've seen there. When I started there, peak times were often 70-90 players online, now it's usually twice that. I would agree that the fish ratio has gone down, but it's still higher than other places at those limits. I'm no expert but still overall averaging 3.5 BB/hr there.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:18 PM

excellent post gonores.

i have just started playing there occasionally, and had the same thoughts on "telling these sharks it sucked". but, talking about this site on this board is OK. they all know it is there, and they all know it is easy to beat. it is the brand new sites that i find every now & then that i like to keep quiet for a while.

i agree that the downlodable version is superior to the old java based, but i still have occasional problems. monday night i kept freezing up, or i could not see the river card while evryone else could. i closed the client and went back to the java, but had the same problems. i just quit for the day there, and chalked it up to an "isolated incident". i have not had these probloems before or since.

the biggest beauty of this site is your second #3. i.e. players that don't keep notes unless pokerstat or the site offers it are at a big disadvantage to those that do.

again, good post.

Old 03-26-2003, 03:47 PM

the biggest beauty of this site is your second #3.

There are very few things that make me laugh out loud when I read them. Congratulations on a job well done, Granny.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:21 PM

I'm new to pokerroom.com but the biggest problem I have is that it seems that the ability to play at only one table seems to prevent full ring games from getting going. I can't play 2/4 and sit in a 5/10 or 10/20 game to try to get one going. I'm the kind of player that doesn't mind playing shorthanded for a little while, but prefers a full game, and only playing one table promotes a bunch of shorthanded games and not full games.