Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Laptop Hard Drive Problem

Sorry this isn't poker related - I've been looking on the web for the appropriate info, but can't seem to find it - can a computer savvy 2+2er offer advice?

I have the dell inspiron 8600 with the 60mb hard drive. I haven't really had any problems with it until last night. Performance was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal slow and the hard drive(I think it's the hard drive, it doesn't sound like its coming from the speakers) will make these weird beeping sounds. It just crashed and auto-rebooted while I was trying to run defrag..

About half the space on the hard drive is taken. I haven't been anywhere with the laptop lately, so no shaking or anything while the drive has been running..

Any ideas? What's the best way to run a check on the physical status of the drive (isn't there some button you can press during boot up)?

Thanks a ton

chris
Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Laptop Hard Drive Problem

Reformat and reimport everything, should fix your problem, if you are getting beeps, from the HD, it is telling you someting is wrong see this mayble itll help.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Laptop Hard Drive Problem

start menu, run, 'compmenu.msc', hit enter

device manager, disk drives

you should be able to see your manufacturer's name from there. ibm/hitachi/hgst are one company, wdc/wd/western digital is another, etc.

http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-in...page=DiskDiags

if you've got something unlisted like samsung, toshiba, fujitsu, etc just poke around their site. you will be able to locate disk diagnostic software that will tell you the problem without having to erase anything (do the full/long scan).