Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Short-stacked w/ 44 in the SB – 3 limpers

This is from the 10+1 at Absolute last night. I had just made it into the money (basically just the buy-in back), and this hand came up.

(blah, can’t find a hand converter for Absolute MTT’s)

Seat 2 – SB (HERO): $8338
Seat 3 – BB: $15339
Seat 4 – UTG: $26492
Seat 6 – UTG+1: $40134
Seat 7 – MP: $13730
Seat 8 – CO (VILLAIN): $32731
Seat 9 – Button: $54122

Blinds 1000/2000, 150 antes

Hero has 4h, 4d

UTG folds
UTG+1 calls
Villain calls
Button calls
Hero raises all-in ($8188)
BB folds
UTG+1 folds
Villain calls ($6188)
Button folds

Basically, I’m thinking that there is a small chance that I don’t get called here since everyone limped, but I will most likely get called. I’m hoping it ends up HU.

My question is, is this the place to push? Or should I wait since I’m in the SB & will get a full orbit before I have to post the blind again? There was $10,050 in the pot before I acted, and I figured it would be a coinflip if I got a caller. I was risking $7188 to win $16238 (if 1 player called). There was no real reason to wait out the better paying spots, since there were none to come for a while.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Short-stacked w/ 44 in the SB – 3 limpers

I am not sure 44 is the best hand to push with here. I know you are short stacked but you have already had a lot of callers and 44 is easily beatable. I might have only called at that point and seen a flop. If the flop doesn't hit you have 7 hands to pick up a better hand to push with.

My thinking is you are already in the money so find a better spot to make your stand.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM

With just over 4BB's left you have to go here.

If eveyone folds you basically double up, if called you have a good opportunity to triple up.

55-TT may limp/call you here leaving you with 2 outs, but you only have 4BB's so you thank God for dealing you a pair in this situation and you MUST push in here,

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 05-02-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure 44 is the best hand to push with here. I know you are short stacked but you have already had a lot of callers and 44 is easily beatable. I might have only called at that point and seen a flop. If the flop doesn't hit you have 7 hands to pick up a better hand to push with.

My thinking is you are already in the money so find a better spot to make your stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that 44 is easily beatable, but I was thinking that this was an excellent opportunity to win some chips because at this point it was very rare to have 3 limpers in the pot.

Although, when I think about it. . . I have to admit that I would have pushed no matter what here. If there were 2 limpers, 1 limper or none. . .
Old 05-02-2005, 11:21 AM

if you can get yourself into a coinflip with all of that dead money out there, that's huge for you. i like the push. there's also a non-zero chance you'll get called by 22/33/A2s-A4s.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:43 AM

What an effing passive table.

I'm 50/50 here between a push, and calling and pushing any raggy flop.

I think a lot of this is table dependant, and image dependant, but with that many limps you have to think there are a lot of high cards out there, with nothing super good. probably some AT, KJ, QJ, etc.

So depending on my image, and that of those who limped, I would decided between completing, and then leading out anytime it comes rags, or with a 4 - or checking if it comes high cards.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:00 PM

There is virtually no chance you're not getting called by at least 1 player with only 4 BB and and 3 limpers. If nobody calls until it gets back to the CO with 32000 chips he would have to be crazy to fold with the pot odds he's getting against a push from the short stack. I think in your spot of desparation I may just complete and hope to hit a set and win a huge pot or push on a flop with all low cards.

Calling the extra BB doesn't really lose you any future FE and I just don't like pushing 44's into 3 lipmers.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What an effing passive table.

I'm 50/50 here between a push, and calling and pushing any raggy flop.

I think a lot of this is table dependant, and image dependant, but with that many limps you have to think there are a lot of high cards out there, with nothing super good. probably some AT, KJ, QJ, etc.

So depending on my image, and that of those who limped, I would decided between completing, and then leading out anytime it comes rags, or with a 4 - or checking if it comes high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really wasn't an overly passive table. Most hands were as you would expect at this point in the tourney. That's what made this hand unique. I thought it was too good of an opportunity to get some chips against "limp-worthy" hands.