Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do I suck?
Maybe 8 34.78%
Probably not 5 21.74%
Bwaahahaha! Ahem... I dunno. 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Default NL Home game - Advice on hand Kh Qh

16 players (two tables)
Started with $1500 in chips
Blinds are at $50/$100
I have $700 in chips and am BB
CO and Button here are chip leaders with probably $2500 each

Preflop: BB with Kh Qh
UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB raises $100, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO Calls, Button calls, SB folds
Pot - $1100

Flop (11BB) Ks Ah 9h
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO bets $100, Button calls, BB calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds
Pot - $1400

At this point, the reads I have on my two opponents are that CO is a jackal, he bets everything. Button is loose aggressive. I figure Button for a high pair with low kicker and CO with nothing.

Turn (14BB) Jc
BB bets $100, CO calls, Button bets $400

This will put me all in, would you call?

I hope I got the right detail in here for you, since it was a live home game, I dont have the text to convert.

Mike
Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: NL Home game - Advice on hand Kh Qh

Ok I am not a NL expert but I think you missplayed this hand on several streets.
Preflop: Since you are shortstacked you either must push here or just check and take a look at the flop. Since there are little chance of taking the pot down against these seemingly loose players I would opt for a check here.
flop: easy easy push. since this hand is going to the river why not push here...
Turn:are u serious? if you donīt call here itīs unbelievable bad...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM

Gwin - don't minraise from the BB into a large field like this.

Even if you have a monster hand (AA or KK) - no one will fold to your min raise here, and you will still have no idea if your hand is any good.

You need to check or push.

On the flop - PUSH. The pot is huge compared to your stack. You are also the favorte vs. any hand except a set or AK.

Against a set your a 3-1 dog (roughly) and against A-K it's about 3-2 (if my quick math in my head is correct)
Old 05-02-2005, 11:07 AM

My first bit of advice would be not to quote Hellmuth's poker types, as most people will not take you seriously if you do.

You have to push preflop and hope to A) have everyone fold, B) get called by a better hand and get lucky, or C) get called by a worse hand and hope you hold up.

You need to stop making such small bets as they serve no usefull purpose. First of all, they make you look weak, and secondly, they don't achieve anything. The purpose of raising preflop from the BB should be to put limpers to a decision. By betting 100, you aren't making any decision - it's an easy call by all limpers. You don't want to play KQ in second position against five limpers when you miss on the flop. This is a clear preflop push, IMO.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:22 AM

The people in your home game don't seem to good.

I stopped reading the hand at preflop. Your stack is such you should be going all in or folding since its 7xBB.

Ya'll need to read tourny strategy.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM

You should shove off the flop. You have a pair and a big draw. You might even push an Ace of their hand. As far as calling on the turn you have alot of outs...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 AM

Wasnt my game, showed up with a friend who was the only one I knew. Im sure if I just checked the preflop, I would have been faced with the same decision(s). Preflop bet was probably foolish. I figured it may be enough to fold out some of the others with low chip counts (it was the first hand at that blind level). Live and learn. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Can someone post a good referenct to tourney strategy?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 AM

1. You should push preflop with that hand and only 7 BB in your stack. The pot is 650 when it gets to you. Min-raising does nothing but sweeten the pot for everyone else.

2. You should push on the flop with that hand and a draw to the nuts. You have a little fold equity, use it. I bet you'd get called by one or both big stacks.

3.Push. That little bitty bet into a big pot won't make anyone fold. Call the all-in. If you fold, you have 300 (if my math is correct), the SB is next, and you're sucking air w/ 2.5 BB for another round.

Play more aggressive from the start of the hand and you might have won it, even if one of the other players had Ace-junk.

regards,
Tim