Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Default QQ UTG in Stars $215

100-200[no ante], I got 4100, about 1100 people left. Have been at this table for about 15 minutes. It's been fairly tight, and I've only shown AA.

I make it 1400 to go w/QQ UTG. I tell myself I can fold if anyone comes back over...but it turns out I can't if its the BB going all in, leaving me 800. I tell myself he COULD have AK or JJ(and he prolly could) but of course its KK. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

*sigh*. Bad play, coin flip, slightly EV+ based on BB's likely range? All comments wanted. It's a pretty easy laydown if we have an extra zero in our stacks, obviously.

I'm mostly upset about not going w/my original strategy(almost always fatal in NL for me) [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], and because this had been as far as I'd gotten in a Sunday the last couple months, and would've been a nice one to do well in. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: QQ UTG in Stars $215

why make it 1400 preflop?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why make it 1400 preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my thoughts[such as they were], were that 1400 would indicate that I had a very strong hand and that I could then fold if someone came over[which I obv'lly couldn't do].

I s'pose 800 does about the same thing while not psychologically[or financially] commiting me near as much to the pot.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:47 PM

I'm not folding QQ here unless I'm shown AA/KK or it's an uberrock
Old 05-01-2005, 09:55 PM

so, your thought on this hand are risk 1400 to win 300, and if re-raised fold your queens? This is horrible, you need to get a stack going when you get these hands not win 300 chips. Your not even giving anyone a chance to make a play at you.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so, your thought on this hand are risk 1400 to win 300, and if re-raised fold your queens? This is horrible, you need to get a stack going when you get these hands not win 300 chips. Your not even giving anyone a chance to make a play at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all great points. I had the wrong attitude to start with on this hand. Even in a $215 tourney the BB certainly doesn't have to have AA-KK to push in here. Just my luck he did this time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

6-800 is prolly a better amount to make it to go. Then make a decision is if someone pushes. I likely would've folded under those circumstances[just had a bad feeling], but QQ is likely ahead much of the time in this situation.

Very easy to be results oriented too. If the BB had had JJ and pushed after putting me on AX, and I go on to the final table, I'm a genius. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2005, 10:59 PM

I went down the same way with QQ's and stack of 3600. Raised to 600 from MP and button put me all in. I had only been at the table for 3 hands so I'm calling without any reads.

He flips over KK's, but this early in the tourny and 18 BB's You couldn't get me to lay down QQ's without a gun to my head against some of the idiots that will play any Ace or pair like that.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, seems as though we both just got unlucky-bad timing.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:28 PM

No. While you did get unlucky, you also played this hand very very badly. That preflop raise is very very bad with those stack sizes. You have QQ, why are you making a raise that makes it easy for 77 and AJ to fold. What other hands are you raising to 7BBs with? If you aren't doing it with a wide variety of hands then you are giving away information. If you are, then why would you want to put so much money in with marginal hands out of position.

Even if the BB had flipped over JJ your play would still have been bad.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think I have made it clear in this thread that that was a very poor preflop amount to raise to.

I hadn't made any other raises of that size. All I can say is for whatever reason I had a very bad 'feeling' when I saw the queens and just wanted to take it right there. Of course, following that 'logic', than I must fold to a re-raise as the whole 'point' of making that big a raise is to say "Get out unless you have AA-KK". I realize the many holes in this train of 'thought'.

FWIW I don't normally get "feelings" about hands, good or bad, but when I do I'm almost always 'right'. And, no, I'm not claiming ESP powers! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Typically, w/QQ UTG and 100-200 blinds, I'd make it 6-800 to go, then see what happens.

I appreciate any input as ya'll've obvo been far more successful at the Stars tourns than I have. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]