Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 10:21 PM

Default kickback for the host

hi.

is there any sort of home game ettiquette for the host of a home game? i won a small home game tourney a ways back and it didn't even occur for me to maybe give him a few bucks for the chips/beer/soda & having it at his house & such. i then hosted one and the winners were very gracious about kicking back a little to me. feeling like a bit of a heel now...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: kickback for the host

[ QUOTE ]
is there any sort of home game ettiquette for the host of a home game? i won a small home game tourney a ways back and it didn't even occur for me to maybe give him a few bucks for the chips/beer/soda & having it at his house & such. i then hosted one and the winners were very gracious about kicking back a little to me. feeling like a bit of a heel now...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played in a homegame where the host was given a kickback.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:20 AM

I hosted a game recently and provided food and drinks. People just kicked in a couple of bucks if they wanted to. I think it would be kind of rude to just show up at someone's house, eat and drink whatever they provide, and leave without offering something.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 AM

This isn't a poker question, Ollie. It's just a being-a-decent-person question. Jesus, bring a case of beer to the guy's house and then relax, OK?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Depends on the house. I host a game with an open bar, but you have to bring your own beer, cuz I can't stand the stuff. But we usually provide some snack type food and booze. I just want everyone to have a good time. I don't expect them to kick any back to me. I usually end up in the black a little by the end of the night anyway. I'm sure there are hosts out there though that sort of expect some sort of donation. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:36 PM

At our game, everyone is expected to bring some food and/or drink for everyone to share. Pot Luck (pun intended). If someone forgets, he gets crap from the others. Plus we all clean up afterwards.

The host provides coffee, cards, chips, and his home. Everyone's happy. No one, including winners, gives the host any kickback.

In your situation, I wouldn't worry about it.

-ptmusic
Old 05-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Some of the more etiquette minded players at my games do throw some money back my way 'if they are in the money', but also perhaps this is because I usually deal the whole game mayself, while playing and continuing if I bust. Others take the winnings and run. Honestly either way is OK with me, I'm not expecting it but it is nice to see some people actually respect all that goes into hosting a poker night (we also provide quite a spread of snacks, chip, dip, drinks, etc.)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM

I host and usually provide cheap beer and water. I don't expect people to chip in, but a buck here or there is appreciated if you are leaving a winner.

A six pack is always appreciated. Everyone loves drunk Poker players! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A regular tournament I got to charges a 5% equipment fee for cards and such. No refreshments are provided. Nobody would kick in money for this since it's already being charged.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:51 PM

I think there are a lot of ways to go here.

Currently - I bring a 6-pack or 12-pack of whatever I plan to drink (usually Diet Coke), and I leave the extras with the host. If we order in for pizza or something, everyone chips in.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:19 PM

People try to give me money at the end of the night all the time. I actively refuse "tips" because I'm sure that would make my now legal game illegal. I tell them to just bring beer/chips/whatever next time.