Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Favorite Movie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dawn of the Dead -remake 2004

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a big horror or zombie movie fan but this movie is the shiz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I really didn't like this movie at all. Watct the original instead, or the Night of the Living Dead flix instead. Original George Romero is aso much better than the wannabe crap.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:52 AM

I'm sure he's offended by the omission of The Big Lebowski.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:26 AM

To say you have a favorite movie is kind of ridiculous as there are so many movies that are so different from each other. Some of my favorite movies are Braveheart, Amarican History X, Fight Club, and The Big Lebowski.

SGS
Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 AM

Spinal Tap.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:13 AM

White Men Can't Jump
Old 04-30-2005, 07:22 AM

Excellent. I gotta go put that in my Netflix queue and see it again.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Fulltime Killer

[ QUOTE ]
Fulltime Killer

I won't give you a synopsis or review or anything because it would be impossible to do the movie justice with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will:

A Taiwanese woman running a Japanese video store in Hong Kong cleans the apartment of a Japanese hitman (who listens to country music and collects American comic strip figures) but then starts dating a Chinese assassin who quotes French and Mexican action films. Did I mention there were Swedish cars in Malaysia and Singapore, and that the Hong Kong police do voice-over narration in English?

The cultural casserole cooked up by writer/director Wai Ka Fai and his co-director Johnnie To is the basis for an extremely entertaining action film about the globalization of mass media and its effect on an audience who assimilates violence with sex with diversion. The Chin character (video store clerk and housekeeper) is the crux of this thesis, a girl without an identity who creates her own perfect man by drawing into her life the aspects of two professional killers. In a story about creating identity, it makes sense that the cop would become a novelist and the hitmen would become legends (who realize their self-destructive fantasy in a scenario based on a video game). But what’s also super-cool about the flick is that the dense plot plays its cards close to its chest -- although exclusively self-reflexive and hardly emotionally engaging, the story does reveal information bit by bit at perfect times, structured in a dischronology that accentuates the hedonistic themes of the script.

Fulltime Killer makes the most of To’s skills with character and acting (as usual, he gets a great performance from Andy Lau as the cocky, rabid Tok) and displays a knack for casual conversation that flows naturally into brutal violence much like To’s 1999 film The Mission. Wai’s contributions to the film’s direction are evident in the angular slo-motion of the bravura action set-pieces (a train station shoot-out and an exterior ambush against cops are two notable occasions, not to mention the Beethoven’s 9th-drenched climax in a fireworks warehouse), some of which equal the dazzling craft Wai demonstrated in his masterpiece to date, the Chow Yun-fat western Peace Hotel. Occasionally clumsy and not especially cohesive (did we really need the Olympics, the older brother, or the puking and foaming at the mouth?), Fulltime Killer can chalk up its heterogeneousness to the incongruity of the cultures it explores: when you’re pasting together a quilt of continents into a film that celebrates the diversity of the art form, you’re bound to let a couple disparate tones butt heads. That’s a flaw I’m willing to accept at the stylish and manic hands of Johnnie To and Wai Ka Fai.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 AM

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

My favourite movie of all time.

"If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya. "

"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, [censored]-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. [censored] 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro. "
Old 04-30-2005, 09:24 AM

Blade Runner
Local Hero
Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 AM

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Super Troopers
Gladiator
Motorcycle Diaries
Butterfly

Not my top 5, but one's I'd recommend