Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: How to learn Hold\'em

OK got it. I think I finally understand Pot Equity to the point that I can apply it....... in draw situations. The multiply by 4 on the flop, by 2 on the turn makes it pretty easy.

So my next question would be... How do you calculate pot equity when you think you might have the best hand??? After all when you are looking at 2 overcards with a rag flop and two opponents you can calculate your equity to be about 12% (because of the overcards) but what do you add to that to factor in that you might have the best hand? I have seen a lot of hand posts where those with overcards are told to raise, which indicated that the pot equity calculation must have put you over the 33% mark (in my example).

Poker is tough.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:28 AM

I'm gonna take a stab at this, though I would like an answer from an expert.

If you think you have the best hand (you just have to know) then, you calculate the total outs that all your opponents have to beat you. You get what's left.

For example, if you flop TPTK, and you have two opponents, one with a flush draw, and one with an open-ended straight draw, the flush draw gets 9 outs (assuming he has no other ways to win), and the straight draw gets 8 outs, but the flush outs already covers 2 of his outs, so we'll say they have 9+6=15 outs. 15x4 is 60% chance of winning, so you have the remaining 40% equity - more than your 33% share. My example is totally hypothetical, and if you actually assign cards to those hands, the numbers might not work out, but I think the general idea is right.

Is this correct? And if so, how much percentage extra equity do you need to raise? 2%? 10%?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:06 AM

What makes you say that Party is rigged?
I thought these were the kind of comments that got you slagged off on thse boards?
I am not critisising, as I sometimes wonder this myself, just asking why you believe it to be rigged, and what exactly do you mean by rigged?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, for those of you who have learned how to "crush" the 0.5/1 level: How did you learn to do it? What step-by-step approach did you take? Did you start with something like Wilson Turbo Hold'em and quiz yourself to death (this would do me well if there was a reliable program on the market, is there?) Does a coach help?

[/ QUOTE ]
I started in January this year. I like taking a systematic approach when learning new stuff, so this is what I did:

1. Heard about this Hold'em thingy during X-mas holidays, opened an account at Party and cleared the deposit bonus at 0.50/1, breaking even (I was lucky).

2. Realized that Hold'em is harder than it looks, and decided to learn to play it well. Discovered 2+2. Ordered some classic literature and Turbo Texas Hold'em.

3. Studied Theory of Poker, Hold'em for Advanced Players and Small Stakes Hold'em and practiced with Turbo Texas Hold'em. Did this for a couple of weeks. No online play during this larvae stage.

4. Returned to Party 0.50/1 and started winning.

I have logged about 30k hands at 0.50/1 with win rate 3 BB/100. I've reread the books mentioned above (+ many others) several times already, and I'm learning new things every time. My win rate has remained fairly constant, but I feel I have developed very much as a player during the last 2 months, especially in the area of "mental strength". In the beginning I would sometimes do hit'n run and quit early to bag a nice win. And of course I would chase losses when stuck. Now I don't care about losing sessions anymore. When it comes, it comes.

I usually spend 1 hour per day doing "poker study", like reading books and forum posts, thinking about different situations I have encountered and going through results from previous sessions. I believe this has really helped me.

Since you've only logged 6500 hands, I think it's too early to conclude anything about your 0.50/1 win rate. Keep playing your best, and see what happens over the next 10k hands. Play poker, read, think and discuss at the forums. You will develop as a player, even if you don't notice any big changes from day to day.

olavfo
Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna take a stab at this, though I would like an answer from an expert.

If you think you have the best hand (you just have to know) then, you calculate the total outs that all your opponents have to beat you. You get what's left.

For example, if you flop TPTK, and you have two opponents, one with a flush draw, and one with an open-ended straight draw, the flush draw gets 9 outs (assuming he has no other ways to win), and the straight draw gets 8 outs, but the flush outs already covers 2 of his outs, so we'll say they have 9+6=15 outs. 15x4 is 60% chance of winning, so you have the remaining 40% equity - more than your 33% share. My example is totally hypothetical, and if you actually assign cards to those hands, the numbers might not work out, but I think the general idea is right.

Is this correct? And if so, how much percentage extra equity do you need to raise? 2%? 10%?

[/ QUOTE ]

bump on this question........ Is this what most of you are doing when you think you have best hand?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Studied Theory of Poker, Hold'em for Advanced Players and Small Stakes Hold'em and practiced with Turbo Texas Hold'em. Did this for a couple of weeks. No online play during this larvae stage.

4. Returned to Party 0.50/1 and started winning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did the Wilson software help you???
Right now I know I have a weakness in starting hands, I play too few. Is there a starting had quizzer in any of these software programs that is first class? I also need work on tweeking my Equity calculation when I feel I am ahead. (see post above)
Thanks to everyone who has been such a great help [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Thank god PP is rigged!

Dude, party is so totally rigged. I don't know why you think this is is nonsense. If you think internet poker in general, and Party in particular is not rigged, you are seriously fooling yrself.

It's not as rigged as Empire though. That's where I play most of the time.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:15 PM

Read the book Small stakes hold'em by david sklansky and mason malmuth, it should help you out a lot.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 PM

I agree completely. I send Party my monthly "Aces Fee" and they are good to me [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Boy do I hate you.

My 2/4 journey:

OP: I didn't really read your post.

Play more hands.
Post more responses.
Post a few hands.

I really rock at poker and look at my graph. My point is that 6k hands is nothing.