Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 08:55 PM

Default DANIEL N. SAY \'S HE CAN THINKS HE CAN WHUP SKLANSKY\'S BUT

In another thread someone posted a link to daniel n's poker journal. And i checked it out and saw this title. "grinding it out in the 2,000- 4,000 game". First off I like how the 2-4k limit game against the best in the world is beneath the great daniel. But thats another thread which i may write. But he goes on to say that he doesn't think any less of sklansky as a man but that he can whup his but! My how the head has blown up for danny boy. He is not referring to tournament poker either. It sounds in general. Which makes believe he means in limit holdem as well. So do you think he's saying he is a better limit holdem player than David Sklansky? And it doesn't spceify headup or not. Again i think this means in general which could mean he thinks he would do better than him in a full table live limit holdem game as well. How did Danny get so good at live limit holdem? I don't remember Danny ever making his living from playing live limit holdem as Sklansky has. He made his money winning poker tournaments. So my question is this. Is Danny being realistic saying he thinks he can play limit holdem better than David? Has Danny logged enough hours in any live limit game to have any right to say this? Where is the proof? Imo Daniel is a decent tournament player who has had success. That now because he plays high limit poker thinks he is better than REAL professional live poker players such as a Sklansky. Daniel doesn't have the patience or temperment of a Sklanksy to think he should be even in his leauge. Daniel is a rich kid now that gets bored at home so goes to the bellagio plays in big limits for 5 hours at a time, couple times a month. logs 67 hours and claims his hourly rate is now 1,900 an hour. Which is silly as 67 hours is nothing to start quoting hourly rates. Btw i'm not saying Daniel is a fish, or bad player. Just that i think because he plays high and has money. So his ego thinks he is better than everyone. Playing high doesn't make you great. Palying great makes you great! Just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
For all the poking and jabbing that goes on with David and I, I genuinely like the guy. We disagree on a ton of stuff, but that doesn't make me think any less of him as a man... it just makes me believe that I could whup his butt at the poker table! :-)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: DANIEL N. SAY \'S HE CAN THINKS HE CAN WHUP SKLANSKY\'S BUT

[ QUOTE ]
So his ego thinks he is better than everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sklansky would use his Nobel Prize to knock Danny out and switch some cards, Sup Bro style. They both think pretty highly of themselves.

Seriously, though. I'd like to see them play some HORSE heads-up. I think David would have the edge here, his knowledge of poker theory would be too much for for Danny.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 PM

Daniel once said his poker income from cash games is 70%. 30% from tourneys. This was when he was in the middle of his hot streak so go figure. Seems a bit off though.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In another thread someone posted a link to daniel n's poker journal. And i checked it out and saw this title. "grinding it out in the 2,000- 4,000 game". First off I like how the 2-4k limit game against the best in the world is beneath the great daniel. But thats another thread which i may write. But he goes on to say that he doesn't think any less of sklansky as a man but that he can whup his but! My how the head has blown up for danny boy. He is not referring to tournament poker either. It sounds in general. Which makes believe he means in limit holdem as well. So do you think he's saying he is a better limit holdem player than David Sklansky? And it doesn't spceify headup or not. Again i think this means in general which could mean he thinks he would do better than him in a full table live limit holdem game as well. How did Danny get so good at live limit holdem? I don't remember Danny ever making his living from playing live limit holdem as Sklansky has. He made his money winning poker tournaments. So my question is this. Is Danny being realistic saying he thinks he can play limit holdem better than David? Has Danny logged enough hours in any live limit game to have any right to say this? Where is the proof? Imo Daniel is a decent tournament player who has had success. That now because he plays high limit poker thinks he is better than REAL professional live poker players such as a Sklansky. Daniel doesn't have the patience or temperment of a Sklanksy to think he should be even in his leauge. Daniel is a rich kid now that gets bored at home so goes to the bellagio plays in big limits for 5 hours at a time, couple times a month. logs 67 hours and claims his hourly rate is now 1,900 an hour. Which is silly as 67 hours is nothing to start quoting hourly rates. Btw i'm not saying Daniel is a fish, or bad player. Just that i think because he plays high and has money. So his ego thinks he is better than everyone. Playing high doesn't make you great. Palying great makes you great! Just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
For all the poking and jabbing that goes on with David and I, I genuinely like the guy. We disagree on a ton of stuff, but that doesn't make me think any less of him as a man... it just makes me believe that I could whup his butt at the poker table! :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok let's begin:

1) "it just makes me believe that I could whup his butt at the poker table" If he just said "whip his butt" then I can see what you are saying but Dan did say "at the poker table" obviously implying poker, not a real-life butt whupping. You are twisting his words.

2) "First off I like how the 2-4k limit game against the best in the world is beneath the great daniel" You surmise this based on the fact that Dan said it ws "grinding". If I was Dan's opponents I would much rather have him admit winning money at my game was "grinding" and not something like "boy it's so damn easy to win at the 2k/4k game"

2) "Which is silly as 67 hours is nothing to start quoting hourly rates" I don't think Dan has been quoted that he expects his real win rate to be 1900/hr. Obviously he has just started tracking his hours, and I think is to be commended for it. After all when we start tracking, we have to start at 0, correct? We should all be happy that a top professional is showing us his win rates at one of the biggest games in the world. What other cash game pro is open like this about his cash game sessions?

But anyways, congratulations on catching me with your trolling, I couldn't resist the bait.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 PM

You wouldn't consider going back to half of the limits you normally play as significantly smaller? He wasn't talking down on the players themselves, just the value of the money.. which he explained and admitted sounded very weird as 2k/4k is still huge.

And I'm sure DS thinks he'd whup DNs butt at the poker table, too.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 PM

1)I know what he meant as far as whupping his butt at poker. What a silly response by you! All i'm saying is where does he get off making this claim basically. He's talking about one of the top theorists on poker. Also a man who has been making his living as a top pro grinding in mid to high limit poker for a ton of years. When did Daniel ever do this? Daniel's statement basically say i'm a better poker player than David. Well how come Danny never played the mid to high limits on a regualr basis like David? To me i would put my money on the guy that makes his living doing it on regualr basis. Only time Daniel ever tried making his living in top games he went broke i recall. Then blamed it on his girlfriend before his ex-financee. And drinking. Well that might have been the resons or maybe he wasn'rt good enough too. But daniel would never think that. it must have been the crutches. So all i'm saying is those are pretty big words from someone that hasn't proven himself in the live arena yet.

2) To me it comes off as he's saying. This is too small a game for me to be playing. That it is beneath him. Like its a kiddy game. And he is saying this to people that play small to middle limit poker. So its like saying this is how beneath me you really are in a way. I'm the man! 2k-4k is a big game for anyone. Even daniel. Maybe the texas banker(billionaire) can call that i kiddy game but that about it.

3)I dont know his exact words on this subject. If he makes the stipulaiton that i know 67 hours means nothing just wanted to share how things hasve gone so far. And he may have i dont know. Then i would apologize for attacking him on this point. but to me there seems to be a trend with Daniel. Its one of arrogance. Where he seems to think he is the man. Even to the point to pick out an excellent professional live game poker player, and say nonchalantly i think i would whup his butt. That we don't agree on alot of philosophies. And thats why i think i would whup him. Since when is he a theorist on poker? He's some kid who won some big poker tournaments. And while in a tournament arena he may have a fighting chance of being better. I would like to see the credetials of saying he is better poker player than David Sklansky!

Btw keep up the name calling. It shows to me that you are not a troll. And that your above my silly fact making points. That once i start name calling than you can respect my posts again.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 PM

Yeah maybe David does know he would whup him. But he doesn't make flippant statements like it to all his fans. if he did i'm sure some would be on him saying how you know or what not? Wouldn't you agree?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 PM

DANIEL NEGREANU FEARS DAVID SKLANSKY!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 PM

No, I wouldn't agree. Whether or not David says something or not has no bearing on the seriousness (or lack thereof) of the statement at hand. I thought it was clear that Daniel was just kidding around. Not in the sense that he doesn't believe it, but in the sense he's not concerned with it.

Also, I seem to remember David saying if there is a God that he would be like himself.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) To me it comes off as he's saying. This is too small a game for me to be playing. That it is beneath him. Like its a kiddy game. And he is saying this to people that play small to middle limit poker. So its like saying this is how beneath me you really are in a way. I'm the man! 2k-4k is a big game for anyone. Even daniel. Maybe the texas banker(billionaire) can call that i kiddy game but that about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you draw that conclusion? He said it sounds sick that he refers to it as grinding.. what more do you want? You made a gigantic leap between what he actually said and what you assume he's implying. He never mentions anything about the players, just the stakes. I thought it was clear he was poking fun at how small 2k/4k seemed after playing twice that for so long.