Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Upping My Aggression, How\'d I Do?

I've ignored the advice of "post hands to really learn" for too long. I keep getting bounced down from 3/6 and 5/10 when I hit downswings. My play is obviously sub-par. My stats are pretty typical "2+2" I think except for my post flop aggression seems to hover in the "2" range on the flop and turn and "1.5" on the river. I guess I feel I am most lacking in post flop skills and I play too passively. I've been reading posts here and making adjustments.

I'm going to post some hands. Here's the first one:

Table is pretty loose pasive pre-flop overall. MP1 is 28/6 and fairly passive post. CO is 15/9 and very passive post over 3 rotations.
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks?, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls?, MP3 calls.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Upping My Aggression, How\'d I Do?

Checking is kind of inconsistent, You have a lot of equity so a bet is definately valuable(plus you may be able to steal) Bet-call a raise and if you hit a flush or Straight on the river c/r.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 PM

You improved to an open-ended draw, you still have a pair, and you've got the flush draw. With 4 people, I'd want to pump that draw as much as possible even on the turn. Assuming your tens are good, you've got as many as 17 outs if you discount the jacks.

You don't know that the CO will bet so especially after capping the flop, you'll make sure a bet goes in on the turn. If you're lucky, CO will still raise even after you bet, and MP1 doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and you might get MP3 trapped for an extra bet. I would lead the turn, even without knowing CO will put in a raise.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:55 PM

You picked up a OESD on the turn. I'd either bet or try and c/r MP3.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 PM

I like it. Given that the passive CO just woke up I think the call is the right play. You have a huge draw but I suspect he's 3-betting if you raise this.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. Given that the passive CO just woke up I think the call is the right play. You have a huge draw but I suspect he's 3-betting if you raise this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, given that you checked I like the call. I would bet out having capped though.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks all. I see now that I made a mistake not betting out on the turn.

Is the flop cap standard?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM

pretty much.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.