Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: First Posted Hand - General Feedback

If we can agree on something, I think it is that just calling the flop is the worst play you could do here.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Haven't seen the other responses yet, but I am just calling this preflop and hoping to hit a set. This is on the bottom end of the mid-pocket pairs and it is very likely that you will need to improve to win (especially against 5 players). Because of this you would like to see the flop as cheaply as possible and then get your money in when you have a huge edge (ie when you spike your set). Also if I do spike a set I am not worried about the fact that I allowed an extra person or 2 to see the flop but rather hoping they will pay me off. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the flop I would check/fold if the pot had not been raised. However since the pot was raised, and you have 2+1-1.5 outs, you have around an 8% shot of winning so I call getting 14:1 and hope to get lucky.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we can agree on something, I think it is that just calling the flop is the worst play you could do here.

[/ QUOTE ]
By far.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, I'm at the state where all the strategy I've read is still "integrating" into my responses, if that makes sense. I'm still getting a visceral tensing up, excitment, nerves, et all, when I play a hand. Working on that. I also bought PT subsequent since then, I'm going to try to give more of the "enviroment" of the table next time I post, as I figure out how.

on the preflop raise, I guess I was influenced by Hellmuth's hold 'em book that just hit paperback, was reading it earlier that day. When I reviewed this hand,I was thinking I should have raised the flop, as some of you suggested.

Kai: Yeah, I was trying to sum that thought re: improving play into a single sentence, those were my overall thoughts as to why I chose to start posting today. And yes, I'm going to read the FAQ *again*

Thanks for the food for thought.

(*tarding*??)
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Nice name. Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the preflop raise, I guess I was influenced by Hellmuth's hold 'em book that just hit paperback, was reading it earlier that day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about the preflop raise. Its perfectly legit. Personally I wouldn't do it with 2 limpers and 2 posters + blinds, but would with 1 limper and 2 posters + blinds, but that's just me, so YMMV.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say that UTG+2 has an A 80% of the time. Lets also say that UTG+2 will always 3-bet with an A, and that we will always fold to a flop 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we can fold here to a flop 3-bet. On the flop the pot is 13SB. When UTG+1 raises it's 14, we reraise making it 16 and the 3-bet makes it 18. Getting 1:18 with a backdoor straight and set possibility you have to call this even if you know for a fact that your opponent has an ace.

If the turn doesn't help and you are bet into again fold then (getting around 1:10 would not be enough to see the river).
Old 04-28-2005, 04:29 PM

All right then. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

One thing that I need to work on that hit home that night is my "Situational Awareness". Once I'm in a hand, its like it all speeds up. Those calls went right past me without registering the way they needed to. I also find I focus on one particular player's response. Tunnel vision, I believe. Also connecting a player's past play to the current. Individual's actions seem very effervesant, hard to keep in mind. I know, I need more time at the table. Or maybe memory excercises.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think we can fold here to a flop 3-bet. On the flop the pot is 13SB. When UTG+1 raises it's 14, we reraise making it 16 and the 3-bet makes it 18. Getting 1:18 with a backdoor straight and set possibility you have to call this even if you know for a fact that your opponent has an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't fold to a flop 3-bet either. I was just using that assumption to simplify my calculations [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 04:31 PM

Upon further review, calling the flop is very bad indeed, and I would check/fold the turn if I were 3-bet on the flop and didn't make my set on the turn.