Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Default First Posted Hand - General Feedback

Been lurking for a while, and seen the advice that the best way to improve one's play was to post hands, so, here's the first. I've only been playng Hold 'em since Jan '05, been reading everything I could get my hands on since, been greatful for this forum many times over.

anyhow, on to the hand:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.75. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Opinions? I'm sure I could have played this hand better.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: First Posted Hand - General Feedback

*tarding*

I would either raise or fold the flop. Why are you calling on the flop? You are not calling because you have two outs (I hope), I'm guessing your calling because you think your hand is good. If you think it is good, why not protect it and raise on the flop?

If you are three bet you can safely let it go.

If I played this hand I think I would have let it go on the flop. I just think there is too great a chance someone has an ace, especially at these limits where they love any ace.

After you made the mistake of calling the flop and hit the 7, the rest was straight forward.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

[ QUOTE ]
the best way to improve one's play was to post hands

[/ QUOTE ]
The best way to improve one's play is to evalute one's own play on a regular basis. This does include posting hands here, however it should also include posting responses to as many threads as you can, as well as reviewing hands and evaluating them yourself before posting them.

Include your self-evaluation when you post a hand, along with other information including reads, PT stats on the players involved, and your general thinking on each street in the hand. Sometimes you may want to cut the action at a point in the hand where you are unsure of your decision. This results in better feedback since people will not be biased by the action later in the hand.

Also, read the FAQ at the top of the forum.

Now, onto the hand.

The PF raise is pretty aggressive. If it were only the two posters in the hand, or maybe two posters and one EP limper, I would like it, but with two limpers in before me I think I would just limp in with this on the button.

The flop I would raise. Your hand may likely be the best hand, and its a good time to find out now whether or not you are drawing to 2 outs.

I think the turn raise is good here. If the board weren't so connected I might consider a smoothcall and going for a river raise if UTG+2 is not a good player and also overly aggressive. As it is this is a good place to play it straight up when HU.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't raise PF. There aren't a whole lot of flops that are going to treat you well here. Limp and see the flop.

On the flop I would raise. If he re-raises, you cost yourself .5bb rather than 1bb on the turn.

Once you hit your 7...as previously stated...straight forward.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I played this hand I think I would have let it go on the flop. I just think there is too great a chance someone has an ace, especially at these limits where they love any ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the action went bet-call-call then I can see a fold. In this case, with a bet-fold-fold and one person still to act behind Hero, a raise is the correct play. We greatly increase our chances of winning the hand UI, and if UTG+2 checks the turn we stand a good chance of taking the pot right there with a turn bet.

A flop bet doesn't automatically mean "I have top pair".
Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think you really are drawing to two outs more often than not in this situation, and raising would be chip spewing. I just don't see UTG+2 leading into the field (including the preflop raiser) with anything less than an ace. The flop raise in my mind is needless aggresion.

I also forgot about the preflop raise... I think I would have limped there as well... Although this could be up for debate.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! I am new here as well, and along with posting some trouble hands you have, don't be afraid to post some blind responses to other people's hand postings. This way you can check other people's responses later and see how you did. This is a great way to learn!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't have raised pre-flop with that many callers.
Are you calling hoping to hit one of your two outs while it is a cheap call and then fold if you don't improve? I used to play this way, now I raise or fold here to protect my hand (which if you are in position, can give you a fee card to the trips if you would like).
Old 04-28-2005, 03:48 PM

Flop is an easy raise. Try to knock out opponents by making them face 2 bets cold so that you're hand is more likely to be best. You might even be able to knock out Ax rags by doing this.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM

I agree the flop bet doesn't automatically mean "I have top pair", but I feel that in this situation, more often than not, it does mean top pair or a better hand than yours.

And if we ARE behind, we are drawing to only two outs. At what percentage do you think we'd put an ace on UTG+2, for raising the flop to be profitable. 50%, 40%?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about it, the more I think you really are drawing to two outs more often than not in this situation, and raising would be chip spewing. I just don't see UTG+2 leading into the field (including the preflop raiser) with anything less than an ace. The flop raise in my mind is needless aggresion.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG+2 might have limped with a suited connector and is betting his OESD or a raggy 2 pair that can be counterfeited. You can't give him credit for an A just yet. Raising also helps limit the field, and will likely fold some Ax rags (like I said earlier).