Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Hello,gasgod! But BOX# 2 \'s content is a function of...

[ QUOTE ]
how well the psychologist can predict MY behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the flaw. The psychologist has already predicted your behaviour. You cannot change that prediction; it is history. Box 2 may or may not have anything in it. That's beyond your control. Given that, why pass up on a free $1000?

GG
Old 04-28-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how well the psychologist can predict MY behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the flaw. The psychologist has already predicted your behaviour. You cannot change that prediction; it is history. Box 2 may or may not have anything in it. That's beyond your control. Given that, why pass up on a free $1000?

GG

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If the alien predictor's actions were made before you could act, then there is absolutely no reason not to always take both boxes because your choice doesn't influence whether or not the money is in box #2. It either already is or already isn't and there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:22 PM

no but see, i argue that this logic is flawed because your logic is that youre passing up on a free $1000 on a decision that doesnt matter either way. the alien knows you will think this and therefore will not give you the million.

however, if you think like me, that you are willing to pass up on the free $1000 because your logic is that the alien thinks you will think that you are more likely to get the million if you only choose the million dollar box, then he will think you will only take the million dollar box and you will get paid.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Free Will Philosophy Problem

[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly convinced I have the correct answer

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is precisely why you are wrong. First philosophy course, right?

Scott
Old 04-28-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no but see, i argue that this logic is flawed because your logic is that youre passing up on a free $1000 on a decision that doesnt matter either way. the alien knows you will think this and therefore will not give you the million.

however, if you think like me, that you are willing to pass up on the free $1000 because your logic is that the alien thinks you will think that you are more likely to get the million if you only choose the million dollar box, then he will think you will only take the million dollar box and you will get paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you using future tense? The alien has made (Note: past tense) his decision. It's wishful thinking to imagine that you can influence the course of events in the past.

GG
Old 04-28-2005, 12:58 PM

its ok if you dont agree with me, but its ridiculous if you dont even understand what im telling you.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its ok if you dont agree with me, but its ridiculous if you dont even understand what im telling you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your previous post:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first sentence is entirely unintelligible. I frankly have no idea how to parse this post. You are certainly correct that I didn't understand what you were telling me. Did you?

GG
Old 04-28-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The alien has made (Note: past tense) his decision. It's wishful thinking to imagine that you can influence the course of events in the past

[/ QUOTE ]

But you did influence his decision in the past. He based his decision whether to put the money in the box on you. So in effect you have already made the choice, at the time he set up the boxes.

When he presents me with the choice, I realize that I have already made my decision - without knowing it at the time - and I am stuck with that.

There is no changing your mind at the last minute. The decision to do that was already part of your predictable state at the time he set up the boxes.

This does not condradict free will. It was my free will that led me to the point in my life that he based his decision on. Free will is not random, I can only choose what seems to be the best choice at the time, for whatever reason.

Taking only box #2 is the rational decision.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:59 PM

thank you, you explained it much better than i did.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Free Will Philosophy Problem

I flip a coin. Heads I take both, tails just box 2. Beat that alien from another planet.

Krishan