Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: What do you think of my play

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think raising with nothing is a good idea when you know that it won't fold anyone. I understand you are trying to make the pot big but I don't think that's the right idea. This is a semi-bluff raise because you don't have anything at the moment. I think it would pay if you had a chance to fold the others, which means i'd do it heads-up or perhaps in a 3-way pot if I had a wild hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually - the worst thing about the raise, is your position to the original raiser.

If you think he has the straight, he should be 3-betting here, charging the low draws and flush draw the max to hit on him.

Your raise - will lead to his re-raise when he has the made straight - and now you are forcing everyone to call 2 more bets - which would make them more likely to fold.

You are closing action here - it's a good place to call, and then play the river accordingly - and put in your raise on the made low/made nut flush.

I think you really lost 2 bets here - cause the fold is easier on the river when you didn't raise the turn.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Good point on if they'd fold the turn. If they do, then the raise is bad -- but they ARE fish after all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I will say that my natural inclination on the turn was to call not raise. But I do think the math works out such that if both will call then its a good raise.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:16 PM

The only reason I raised was because there were 2 fish in the hand that I assumed would call even for a 3 bet. If there were 2 rocks sitting over there I would have flat called.

There is also a chance that SB will just call my raise either because he didn't have the str8 or because he is a passive player. If he flat calls the fish will definitely come along and I have position on everyone for the river.