Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Curiousity killed the cat, make them call to chop?

Routine hand, with what frequency do you make your opponents call to chop? I understand his range isn't 100% ace, but mostly it is. Discuss.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Curiousity killed the cat, make them call to chop?

I'd fold preflop.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Ok, well people know my VPIP is 30, so my gameplan doesn't involve folding preflop to this action with this hand. So let's pretend we raise preflop. Thx.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Do you think he would call without an Ace? Or that he would fold any hand on the river that he did not fold on the turn?

EDIt: Ok I won't be cryptic. I think this is a situation where if he calls you are beat, and I don't think he would fold an ace here.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:21 PM

Yeah, flair, it's unfair to give no reads but I didn't have one on him yet. He's to my immediate right and I now get to peg him as a complete calling station. At 2/4 they are bad enough to call with an ace on the turn and not the river. I think it is undeniable that every bet has fold equity (hell the turn bet still has best hand equity), but the river bet definitely has 0 best hand equity and the lowest fold equity. Typically this is a check behind for me, but I bet it here mostly to see if he would actually call twice with the ace in what is likely to be an at best chop for him. Value bet with impunity time, but still curious about the opinions on when if ever I should make them call twice in a spot like this. Giving up every single time seems too weak.

EDIT: I won't be cryptic either, I almost always give up after the turn here. Maybe its a loaded post, because he's called the turn saying ace so I'm betting the river just to spite him and say really gonna call to chop at best? Just me fishing around some for thoughts from the forum.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 PM

FWIW, I chalk up this rare bet to shania. The following hand occured 5 hands later, results included because they are humorous.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Qd (straight, ace high).
MP1 has As 5c (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.25 BB. </font>