Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Move up in Stakes Today.....missed AK bluff doesn\'t seem to be working

I know the stakes I play are probably considered small for this forum, but the site I play on the players are pretty advanced at the low and mid stakes, so if you don't mind I'll leave my question here.

Anyway, today I moved from 100 to 200 NL, the play didn't seem a whole lot different, except for the fact that it seemed that every time I tried to bluff I got caught, particularly when I made the continuation bet with AK. I was raised a lot more than I usually am, or was called down with mid pair etc. I usually just fire out one half to a full pot sized bet on the flop, and then give the hand up if I'm raised, or try to check it down unless I improve on the turn or the river.

At a certain level are players wise to this bet, or do you think since I'm new to this stake perhaps players don't realize that I'm a tight aggressive player, and aren't giving me credit yet?

Anyone notice similiar experiences when changing levels? I'm thinking I'll just start checking flops I miss, but that seems a little weak tight.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help,

David
Old 04-26-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Move up in Stakes Today.....missed AK bluff doesn\'t seem to be working

check sometimes, bet sometimes - mix it up... try potting it instead of 1/2 potting it sometimes as well. Also fire a 2nd barrel sometimes as well.

good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Move up in Stakes Today.....missed AK bluff doesn\'t seem to be working

when your attempting continuation bets w/ AK your trying to rep an overpp for the most part...would u bet 1/2 the pot w/ an overpair...a lot of players wont give u credit for one w/ such a small bet
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 PM

But if you bet the full pot doesn't the continuation bet need to be succesful 1 out of 2 times to be profitable?

I know probably an obvious answer but I suck at math [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks,

David
Old 04-27-2005, 11:28 PM

You also turn an A or K 1 every 7 times or so
Old 04-28-2005, 12:50 AM

If you bet 1/2 pot, I ll raise you with nothing about 1/2 the time. If youre going to bet with nothing, you have to make it look like you have something.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:17 AM

Continuation bets getting raised just happens sometimes. You almost certainly ran into some big hands and got unlucky. This is not because you moved up in stakes. Just play longer and you will see your AK bluffs working alot more.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 AM

If you are getting called too much, it's probably a good idea to change gears for a while in the game and slow down. You might do that by checking some flops, some you have hit and some that you have missed. Another way to slow down would be to limp with Ace King, Aq, pairs 99 10 10 and maybe JJ in EP and behind other limpers. I do that a lot of times, and I play 10/20 NL and higher. I generally continue raising with Ace King suited preflop however.

The general idea is if you are getting called too much, tighten up preflop and don't bluff as often postflop. Since you are tightening up on your preflop raises, you are more likely to be betting the best hand postflop.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Move up in Stakes Today.....missed AK bluff doesn\'t seem to be wor

I don't think it's really that necessary to fire out on the flop everytime you ak misses. Often times just checking it down will win the pot and eventually you kinda get a feel for calling bets with ak unimproved. I used to always fire out on the flop, but I read Cloutier's book and he suggested no putting in another dime if ak misses and after trying this strategy I really like it. If you always bet on the flop after a raise people are going to start getting suspicious and this hand is good hand to slow down with because it can win unimproved. If you want to bluff it grow some balls and the bet the full pot on flop and even on the turn. It sets up your overpairs nicely and full pot bets get called much less often. Just be aware to slowdown if an ace comes because full pot bets are often called by top pair top kicker so if the river comes an ace after you've fired two bullets don't go wild and crazy.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Move up in Stakes Today.....missed AK bluff doesn\'t seem to be wor

But would you check an overpair on a flop?...