Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Raise with a lesser hand?

This is a tough situation to write about because it is unique to me. I know this player well and I know he is capable if going all in without a better hand then me. For example. I don't remeber what the original situation is so I make a new one that fits.

I hold QT and he holds Q8

the flop comes (Q K 7)

Suites are not a factor. In this situation if I bet into him he would almost for sure raise me. If he is first to act he would always bet this, or maybe check raise it. He likes to bet in set increments. So if he bets 200 he will probably keep betting 200. But if I raised him, will have little trouble tapping me, or going all in. I would have to fold. But I could call him down and win.

This situation comes up all the time, and me and my friend "Pitts" argue about it all the time. After I show him a slightly better hand he says "Why don't you ever raise me!" and I say "Because half the time I do you go all in and I cannot call. So I would rather just let you keep betting and call it all the way."

It's a situation where I have a pretty strong feeling that I am winning but I still cannot call a very large bet because I do not hold top pair. I would much rather call it down cheaply and not risk a re-raise. I don't even know what I am saying anymore... Just tell me what you do when you get into a heads up situation with a very tricky player that you know well.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Default LOL

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
just tell me what you do when you get into a heads up situation with a very tricky player that you know well.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL! If I knew the answer to this, then I wouldn't need to post here anymore!