Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Central Iowa

In a few weeks, I'll have about 1/2 day free in Cedar Rapids.

Head to Bettendorf or Tama?

I've played at Bettendorf a few times before.

Thoughts appreciated.

MP
Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Central Iowa

It really depends on what limits/games you're seeking . . .

Tama spreads 4/8 hold'em, 3/6 o/8, and 1-5 stud, in general, plus some higher limits as the games are requested. The games and dealers are pretty good, but it's not exactly a 'formal' atmosphere - you'll often have off-duty dealers in the games, some regulars getting janky, etc. some of the best games are after the wed/thur tourneys, there's usually some good action in the games about then. If it's during the day, I'm not sure how the games are holding up, what with Prairie Meadows stealing quite a bit of business in Des Moines.

The Isle of Capri in Davenport spreads 3/6 hold'em with a full kill, the games aren't bad, but I've never been during the day. Sometimes they get a 6/12 together, but don't expect it every time. The room is marginal at best, although it is relatively clean and the dealers could suck worse.

I've never been to Bettendorf, but I've heard they regularly spread 5/10 HE and can get to 10/20 at times.

It's probably not worth going any further, it'd be 2 hours(-ish) to Prairie Meadows - although personally that's the only place I play anymore.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:19 PM

Thanks!

After posting, I thought about clarifying - Saturday day, so hopefully all games will be weekend good.

Thanks again! Maybe I'll check out Tama just because I haven't yet.

MP
Old 04-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Just to clear things up, the Isle of Capri is in Bettendorf. I believe there may still be a boat in Davenport , but they don't have poker.

Catfish Bend, currently in Fort Madison usually spreads 5/10 HE and 7 card HI/LO, sometimes 10/20 HE. The tourneys there are great. Mon, Wed nights, Sat mornings.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clear things up, the Isle of Capri is in Bettendorf. I believe there may still be a boat in Davenport , but they don't have poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but they also have 10/20 Dealer's Choice on Fridays, and 20/40 DC on Thursdays and Saturdays. And 6/12 DC games occur fairly frequently.

-Travas
Old 04-28-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow - it's been 18 months since I've been to the QCA, did they shut down the room at the Isle in that time?