Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Anyone else running good

It looks like some people might have torn you a new one already, but I will try to give you an honest answer. It sounds like you need to move up in limits. Like you, I don't play to pay the rent, buy plasma tv's or anything else. I don't even play to make money. I play to win--yes there is a difference. I hate playing 3/6 and 2/4. The players are mentally retarded and there is really no "mental warfare" going on, which is what I love about the game. If you can beat those games so handily, you should have no problems moving up in limits. Give it a shot.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:30 PM

is anyone else running well

isn't English a bitch [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM

no, but ive been running real bad. I usually cant win a hand and when i do its a small pot.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 AM

I just got knocked out of my 4th tournament in a row. Each time my final hand was AA. This last time I was 86% to triple up vs AQ and AT. But other than that I'm running great. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 08:33 AM

Jesus Christ it's like they've known me all my life...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 AM

I am running ridiculously well, better than I ever have, and now I kind of feel board of poker too.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
averaging 8.9BB/100 over 3,000 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I only play 2/4 and 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and when there is nothing to improve I grow bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) small sample size
2) you're not as good as you think you are. Trust me, there is a lot of improvement you (and me and anyone else here) can work on.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 PM

Re "you're not as good as you think you are."

I don't think the OP was claiming to be any sort of poker god.

I think he was merely pointing out that when we are on a hot streak, we tend to sit back and relax and hope we keep coasting upwards, or even 'gamble a bit' to 'make it more interesting.' It takes a losing streak to make us (well, some of us) work on improving our games.

That's my usual pattern, actually - playing almost every day as long as things go well.. then if I have a couple bad days in a row, I will take a day off, pick up a book, do some pencil-and-paper theory, and then come back to the computer later.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:09 AM

Default I couldn\'t be doing worse

I've been playing most 5/10, mixed with some 10/20 & some 3/6 over the last few months. I've been ironing out some holes in my game, but until this past weekend I was up about 8K on the year. I only recently got pokertracker working and I'm still working on using it well.

However, 2 days ago I ran into the bad beat nightmare of a lifetime, and it continues. When I start getting frustrated I will get up and take a break, go for a walk or have a shower. Sometimes I will call it a day, sometimes I will come back a few hours later. I realize that when sustaining bad beats, try as we might, we still play worse, but things are really *BAD*

I have played at least 250K hands over the last two years online, and I have NEVER seen the bad beats I have taken, and have NEVER had dropped so much cash.

A few sad examples(all SH play, which is all I play):
I raised UTG with A10o, all fold to the BB who calls. Flop is J 9 8. I bet, BB calls. Turn 2. I bet, he calls. River 2, I bet he raises. The guy called me down with 5 2 offsuit.

Pocket AA, I raise, all fold to the BB who calls. Flop 4 8 6. I bet, BB calls. Turn A, I bet, BB raises, I 3-bet, he caps, I call. River blank. He bets, I call, he shows 5 7 off.

Yeah bad beats happen, they are a part of the game, even a distinguishing part of the game for this is where we can tell the pros from the amateurs, those who will succeed from those who fail.

Sadly, the ONLY pocket rocket hand I have won in the last 3 days has been where I raised and everyone folded pre-flop. Every single other rockets hand I've played, I've lost. Thats about 20 hands.

What to do? I have a few ideas:

1 - Going to work more away from the computer
2 - Going to play some lower limits, (3/6 or 5/10 at most) to build more of a bankroll
3 - ???
4 - ???

This has easily been the most frustrating slide I have ever seen. The fact that I now play much higher limits than when I started makes the bad beats cost a LOT more. However, my bankroll can handle it. What is most surprising is that I have never seen such a slew of bad beats and down slides in over 1/4 million hands to date.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:34 AM

Spot on.