Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think theFishyWhale should become a pro?
Yes - now 2 3.13%
Yes - later 1 1.56%
No 24 37.50%
It depends 27 42.19%
Don't know 0 0%
We need to discuss it more 1 1.56%
Whatever 2 3.13%
Don't care 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: A few words to conclude this thread

I donīt know, the only thing I can tell you with certainty is that Iīm not going to go pro in the near future for reasons I already mentioned.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Get you Degree

Hmm, donīt know what more there is to say to this... thank you for dedicating to me your time and efforts? Doesnīt sound too bad, I guess [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Get you Degree

youll have to forgive him he didnt realize you had the hubris to skip studying philospher and go straight to being a world class philosopher.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:52 PM

why don't you ask the guys for their opinions?

Old 03-16-2003, 05:00 PM

Because only I can ultimately answer the question, people canīt really answer this for me.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Best line of the thread

Usually philosopher kings or established philosophers don't sweat getting a degree. - HDPM

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2003, 07:18 PM

24 and living at home w/your parents.......sure u can go pro.........a professional FREELOADER.......hahahah....yea your smart....when u get to vegas i'll send the limo.....and mom and pops can send the checks........hahahah,u my hero dude....getting sent out in the streets at 13 makes me a lil jaded at u 24 yr old sissys...but seriously of course u should go pro....gret mom and dad to move to vegas...no respect for pampered,freeloaders who were born w/ a silver spoon in their ass...u makin momma proud fihywhale.....see ya when ya get here......ROFLMAO..u cant tell these overeducated,non-common sensical babys nothing tommy,nothing but .......YEA RIGHTTTT!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Can you please tell me why I donīt/shouldnīt go pro? (long)

I think I can give you some good feedback on this question that you have posed. I myself graduated from college in May 1998, with a degree in accounting. I don't see a lot of value to a degree in philosophy. If philosophy is something you are interested in, I reccomend that you read it / study it in your spare time. This is coming from someone who is on their own, supporting himself. A degree n philosphy is better than no degree at all, possbily, depending on what you end up doing. It could be exactly a complete waste of time, although it could also possibly open some doors for you down the line.

I think you should take a break from school. I'm speaking from experience when I say that you're parents might not like this idea. My parents didn't want me to take any time off in college when I had the idea, and they ended up having it their way. I went str8 though college with no breaks. I was 24 when I graduated (took me 6 years).

I suggest that you get out on your own and then evaluate things from there. It's a whole different world when you are supporting yourself / vs. being at h ome and in college. I've been there and now I'm here. My story goes like this. I worked as an accountant for four years, and walked out of my job becuase I couldn't handle the corporate b.s. in the workplace. I made an attempt at going pro - without an adequate bankroll, and 3 months later I was broke.

Now here I am I'm trying to rebuild my bankroll. In the meantime I'm working a warehouse job and playing online attempting to build an adequate bankroll to give myself a legitimate shot at going pro. That means between 20 and 50k with all of my bills paid off and a proven winning track record. I'm looking at approx. 2 to 3 years before I can accomplish this. Maybe 1 to 1.5 if things go better than expected.

I think you need to get out on your own first. It will give you a whole new perspective on life.

Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Can you please tell me why I donīt/shouldnīt go pro? (long)

There is no such thing as "going." Someone who becomes a pro, becomes a pro; some day he notices that he is more or less a pro. Another day he might notice that he is not at all a pro. But if you insist about "going," do it now; turn "pro" right now, on this very minute. If you can keep up with it, then maybe you might become. I think keeping up with it is harder than becoming.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:29 AM

"...but things like that just make me wonder if some of you 2+2ers are slightly dyslexic or ignorant on purpose or something. "

I don't know about philosophy or poker, but this guy sure knows how to make friends.