Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Looking For Nice/Colorful Chips...Higher End

One very important point I forgot to add:

SAMPLES

Don't make any decision without getting samples.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:24 PM

If you need 10+ people for both cash games and tournaments, get 700 nexgens, a nice case and have one of the label makers make you some labels. My 700 cost me just under $250 shipped, labelled, cased, racked. They are definitely adequate and a BIG step up from my old super diamonds.

If you play the same game all the time with 10 or fewer people, get 3 colors of pokerchips.com edgespot chips, no inlay, 500ct. At 0.50 each they are a bargain. Long wait but real clay chips, not plastic.

Seeing as this purchase will commemorate an anniversary I would say get the pc.com chips, they will be beautiful for a lifetime.

GET SAMPLES!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:38 PM

if you can get up the scratch, you should get the suits. they're the nicest non-denoms you can get.

otherwise, the nexgens are okay, and the project aspect of it is fun. they aren't clay, though, and are a step up, but still slugged. i got 500 nexgens labled for a relative for about $150.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM

One interesting thing I found about pokerchips.com is that the chips are manufactured in New Brunswick, Canada and then shipped to Portland for finishing (custom labels, I imagine). That's probably why it takes so long to get them.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM

Go for pokerchips.com blank chip with edge spots. 50 cents a chip and you choose both the chip and spot colors. Only problem is the long wait for shipping.
Good luck,
Matt
Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 PM

Sounds like Nexgens fit the description of what you are looking for perfectly. They sound much closer to clay than the EBay specials you refer to, feel nice in your hand, and can be customized with labels. My set of 1000, including a cheap case and labels for all 1000, plus shipping, was $280.00.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:07 PM

RE: Samples..

Yep - that I will definitely be doing first. Samples, samples and more samples [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think I've got the choices narrowed down. I really, really like the look of those classic clay chips with the multi-colored edgespots. They are really neat. The James Bond/Martini Club chips have the best, but have other undesirable characteristics and are too expensive.

So I'm deciding in between the NexGens and the pokerchip.com chips. The NexGens have a "River Poker Tour" line that has multicolored edge spots that look pretty good. I think I'll get samples of both and see where it goes from there.

Thanks again everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 05:37 PM

If you are going to get some samples, try 5star. You can order individual chips and you get a much better feeling for the chips when you hold 5, 10 or even 20. Also helps to let you know how well they stack.

If you are going to look at the RPT Nexgens also take a look at the Nexgen 8000 series. They have a cross hatched pattern to them that the RPT's don't have which alters the feel somewhat. Also, the White, Blue and Red RPTs are slightly different in that they have spots on the sides of the chip. There have been rumors about a 4th Nexgen chip with better edge spots coming out but nothing so far.

If someone made the faux clay dice chips with good edge spots, that would be the ultimate cheap chip.

gl
Old 04-26-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One interesting thing I found about pokerchips.com is that the chips are manufactured in New Brunswick, Canada and then shipped to Portland for finishing (custom labels, I imagine). That's probably why it takes so long to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Portland shop actually applies the mold. The labels are not applied there. At least that's what I was told. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And I agree, with a $250 budget, your best option is pokerchip.com custom chips (you pick body colors and edge spot colors) without inlays. 50¢/ea. is the best deal going. These chips blow away nextgens.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been rumors about a 4th Nexgen chip with better edge spots coming out but nothing so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Head to thread jack....

what is this rumor?