Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: I really have no idea what to do here

Well, with AQ, I have top pair and likely the best kicker, so I'd be making a value bet for a lot more than t50.

Hero has two options: try to pick up the pot right away, or try to continue cheaply.

Trying to pick up the pot right away is a shaky idea, mostly because you're OOP, but it's not a bad play if the bet is the right size. I am a bit wary of attempting this play given the fact Hero's raise was called and there was an A on the board. If Villain is an AX player, then he is not going away. I don't really think t200 was a bad amount, I just think it has to be more. But I am probably not raising here at all.

Betting a nominal amount does a few things. I think he may just call (which is what he has done to this point), and the fact I bet may keep him from raising to take the pot down immediately. So I can see the next card cheaply, for a price I am willing to pay. If I am reraised I know where I am, and I am out of there. If I am going to play, I only want to continue if the price is right.

I agree with the poster that limping is not the best pre flop play here. Folding is. I would limp if there were limpers in front of me, but I don't want to raise to isolate myself against one or two unknown opponents behing me. I would likely be behind any hand that would call my raise.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: I really have no idea what to do here

the problem is, and depending on where you play, buyins etc you may never encounter this, You are giving away a lot of information. But lets set up this hypothetical example.

Me and you play a hand. You raise in MP with AKo, i call on the button with KQo.

Flop comes K 7 4, two spades. you make a pot sized bet, i call or raise, and we make it to showdown. I see your AK.

Now the hand that we have been talking about comes up. If im observant, im probably going to raise your bet with just about anything.

Im not saying you have to bet the same amount everytime, but i don't think your bet size should change as drastically as you are advocating.