Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 AM

Default JJ 6max crique?

villan is 84.8/5.7
note says he called 4$ with j6s from SB

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($145.52)
MP ($110.6)
CO ($114.05)
Button ($179.28)
SB ($49.1)
BB ($100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($13.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, MP calls $8, Button folds.

Turn: ($29.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($59.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Final Pot: $119.50

I think river call is mandatory given pot size and way I played it...but I'm wondering about my turn play.

thank you
Old 04-26-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: JJ 6max crique?

Bet the turn and if you get raised fold.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 AM

Yes
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 AM

could you care to elborate on range of hands you'd put him on and why my turn action sucks? thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 02:33 AM

After you checked? Anything. Your check was a sign of weakness so he might have a hand or he might be bluffing at the pot. But most loose callers wont reraise you if you make a substantial bet here.

Also, since he plays such a wide variety of hands, he probably thinks that you do too (most bluffers are always afraid of being outbluffed by someone else, even if the other player plays like a rock).

Unless your opponent is very tricky and has shown that he will bluff raise, you should bet. Be aware that he may call you down to the river with something like a pair of nines though.

You need to know where you stand here.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:40 AM

I guess what I don't understand is why you called the turn. Either you think he's got a king, and you're drawing to two cards (fold), or you think he's full of [censored], in which case you have to push him back.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could you care to elborate on range of hands you'd put him on and why my turn action sucks? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

you bet into him because if you bet $20-25 now and he makes it $45 you can fold on the king. you check, he bets $15 and you call then you check call another $30 on the river. you could have saved some money by betting out and folding to a raise. i have a feeling you lost to a 9 though, because otherwise the hand wouldnt' be posted. yet another reason you should bet out on the king, he possibly folds if you make a decent bet at the king.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 AM

I think I pot this on the flop. Half the pot is giving him juicy odds for a straight draw. As for the turn, well, the line here looks good. Half the pot as a stopper bet... fold if raised. Check/call river.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 AM

I checked the turn for the following reasons...

1) it was unlikely that the opponent had a set/2pair/overpair because those hands were very likely to raise me on flop on such drawy board.this made me believe that he was either on a straight/flush draw or a 9...that's why I thought K was pretty much a blank

2) 1/2 pot size bet gives him 3:1 odds..probably more than enough to call profitably with a draw with a little bit of implied odds

3) full pot bet would give him 2:1 odds and little bit of implied odds. but this bet would make me uncomfortable if I got called, building big pot OOP with 1 overcard. I would pretty much have to check/fold river to what will often be a missed straight/flush draw.

4) pot control OOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I thought it was almost 50/50 that he had a 9 or missed straight/flush draw, and given 3:1 odds, I called him.

villan showed A7s for missed FD and MHIG.

any thoughts/comments on my thought process would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 09:59 AM

Say you had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- would you have checked the turn then?