Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: The Story of Logan and his Poker Game

OK.... why aren't you taking rake? This seems silly. Two or three competent dealers (enforce dealer breaks for accuracy) and the rake is hardly noticeable. Simply charge less than the rest (5% to $3?).

Yay tournaments. This will get players to your tables who will stick around for the cash game. Use your same dealers and give them most of the house draw (you'll make it up in rake on the side game that starts immediately). Let them take tips from the tournament winners, tell the losers to keep it for the cash game.

Why aren't you raking again? Either charge time for the seat or rake the game.

Unless the three stooges were a fighting or "call the law" problem, invite them back and ride thier asses with rules. Give them $10 for playing three hours if you have to. Give anyone who is a donator $10 for three or four hours of play. The good players will love that promotion, just make sure it's on the downlow... as long as it's discreet no "random donator" will see it. When the random donators come back they can have the same promotion.

The good players don't care but the fish look at a "door fee" as a tax on thier fun (if they're all fish then whatever, they just pass the money back and forth). The fish cannot see a rake, I don't know why. You are already in the realm of "underground club" if you're charging to get in so you might as well rake it. You really do need to be making $30+ per seat per night. I would prefer to make $50 per seat per night. Lets face it, you might lose your house to the law before you lose it to the bank.

One suggestion that might save you if you do get raided... make it a "gentleman's club" and charge $2 for membership for a year. That should cover the cost of having membership cards laminated, newbies get "temp" membership for a week. No address on the card, thank you. You must have a membership to play cards in your "club". Without even seeing the map of your area, I can say you don't have the zoning for a "club" but it might mitigate some criminal charges in the future.

Do not put a rake drop on your tables. Just take the rake into the rightmost chip slot in your dealer trays. Every half hour (smack in the middle of the dealer rotation), go around and collect it. If you get raided then the dealer is playing hands and that's his "stack".

Get some cameras. Hook them up to a computer so you have instant access and also instant delete. Bluetooth from your phone would be great for delete.

Good luck man, I'm feeling your pain. Don't rent your house out at a loss unless you can buy another building that's an even better investment to live in. Renting at a loss is the worst thing I can imagine, you should sell it before you do unless you can get out from under the mortgage with a profit.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM

I made it in the story!!!! HA HA bitches.
"Davis wins a crapload of money in the short couple hours that he's there. He says he really loves the setup and will definitely be able to bring some guys to play. "

Anyway, the set up is real nice and I know me and some boys will be out there this weekend, would be this week but school is still going.
I think you can get a bigger hit going too once this is done, from what I have seen the big majority of citizens here in this town are busy with the whole one week till finals thing.
Also try putting up some discreet signs around campus.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 PM

Where is the game? I would love to come if it is in my area which, with my luck it is not. Keep going. It seems as if you stop it will suck the life out of you. Just make sure that it does not seriously hurt you financially. That is what you call a gambling problem. Your current position seems borderline. Interesting read though.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM

Yeah. Me too! Where are you guys? I'm in Chicago, and have lots of casual poker playing friends....