Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Set of Jacks vs a flush draw

[ QUOTE ]
Lesson learned. Bet, be the agressor and don't allow chances for a free card to the flush draw.

I can do some stupid things sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just checking, do you know why CRing the flop is bad?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Set of Jacks vs a flush draw

[ QUOTE ]
Lesson learned. Bet, be the agressor and don't allow chances for a free card to the flush draw.

I can do some stupid things sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are suffering from acute FPS.

It's very important to understand why you bet in this game. It should have nothing to do with "being the aggressor". Lose that train of thought, it will prove costly if you don't know what you're doing.

The other thing you must understand is why check-raising here is so terrible. There are many reasons.

The reason why you bet this flop is for value and as you said not giving the free card. Period. I assume you were going for a slowplay but changed your mind when CO bet.

As far as value betting the flop is concerned you were very lucky CO bet. You had no reason to assume he would. You were the one who showed pf strength, not him. Once you check raise him you show tremendous strength. With that play anybody in the hand can clearly see aren't looking for anybody to fold, you are looking to trap players for more bets. You totally give away the fact that you are sitting on a monster and have subsequently killed all further action from anybody who you have beaten. Remember this! When you are the pf raiser (aggressor) they expect you to bet the flop! When you do so it gives away nothing. You bet here for value. If you simply bet the flop most of the time they will assume you are bluffing with overcards. Players who you have dead and buried will call you to the river just to find out. Players who "improve" to top pair or two pair on the turn will raise and you'll drag a monster pot. Typical micro partiers will only start thinking you really do have a monster when you either reraise (or cap) or when you do what you did which was check raising a player to your immediate left. Having them find out you're loaded is much better when they've already had to call a reraise and cap rather than after 2 measly SB on the flop.

The turn play is probably worse though. You told the table you have a monster on the flop. A major scare card hits on the turn. You cannot give these guys free looks at the river when there is a three flush on the board and you don't have one of that suit. The only way CO bets again on the turn is if he's really stupid or if he improved greatly ie. hitting his flush. The fact that CO bet would have me very nervous about the flush already coming in. Check raising at that point would be the last thing I would consider. You will only get called by players who either currently are ahead of you or have a draw to beat your set. You will often get reraised and isolated by a made flush leaving you praying for the board to pair on the river.