Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Anyone else running good

and because of that you don't want to play?

Recently I've ran extremely well, averaging 8.9BB/100 over 3,000 hands, however the last week I only played a couple of hundred hands.

It might be because I'm a bit tired of poker in general, but I think that if I ran bad or even, I'd put in a lot more hours. Shouldn't it logically be the other way around?

It has nothing to do with paying the rent etc therefore I don't have to play as much when I'm running good, because I only play 2/4 and 3/6.

It doesn't make any sense to me, the only semi-reason I can come up with is that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and when there is nothing to improve I grow bored.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Anyone else running good

I don't know how interesting this was, but I just had to get it down on paper. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll enjoy playing again if I move up in limits?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and when there is nothing to improve I grow bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot to learn about poker
Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 AM

It is more likely that you believe that you are due for a downswing.

You are ascribing non-random characteristics to a random game.

I doubt that you truly believe that you have mastered the game to the extent that it no longer interests you.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 AM

I obviously didn't mean I know everything about poker, actually I don't believe I'm very good. I believe I have the talent to BECOME very good, but as of now, I suck.

BUT, when there is no need to fix something right away, (though I post my hands to my friends etc, just did yesterday actually) I grow bored. It's hard to see the errors when you're running this good.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is more likely that you believe that you are due for a downswing.

You are ascribing non-random characteristics to a random game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably something like that, but isn't that flawed thinking? I mean there is no logic in that if I've recently run well, I must soon run bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that you truly believe that you have mastered the game to the extent that it no longer interests you.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my reply to Limitplayer.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 AM

See this link

Archive
Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Default shut the #&%$ up

nt
Old 04-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Are you familiar with personality traits? You sound like an INTP. See if this quote from intp.org fits you.

"While proficiency may not be a central goal, competence always is. The difference here may be subtle, but it is important. If an INTP decides to learn a skill, then it is very important for him that he reaches a sufficient level so that basic errors can be avoided. Errors made by others are to be expected and can be criticised. But errors made by oneself attack the very root of the person, which is ultimately about rationality, logic and truth. INTPs hate to think of themselves being in any way inadequate, at least in areas that are important to them. So, as soon as he puts himself behind some task, then he must achieve competency. But that is as far as it goes. Refined competency requires too much effort and has little attraction. It would require practice and that usually bores an INTP. Hence, it is common to see INTPs dabbling at many things, achieving competency, just enough to prove to themselves that they could become more proficient if they wished, but rarely actually bothering to refine their skills further. This is a point at which we begin to get a feel for the workings of iNtuition backing up Thinking. The INTP has a whole set of skills which he knows that he would be proficient at, yet other people may know little of this. He is satisfied with the knowledge that he has these skills but often sees no requirement to demonstrate this to others, an indication of the strong Ti nature."
Old 04-25-2005, 04:07 PM

I don't know much about personality traits, no, but I took a test a few months back that labeled me as an INFP.

This sounds pretty much like me though. But I'm also very competetive and usually like to very good at something that I REALLY enjoy.