Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: How to learn Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand the concept of equity? Can you tell me what it is, how to compute it, and what its used for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds: This is used to determine if you have the odds to call a bet.

Equity: This is used to determine if I bet/raise or not. This is the amount of the pot that I own (in theory). Example, with a Ace high flush draw after the flop my equity is about 35%. In a 10 bet pot my equity is 3.5 bets. If I have 3 callers for a straight or flush draw on the flop, then I keep the bets/raises a common as long as I can keep then calling (on the flop). As far as calculating it.... nope, I can't do it in a timely way. For something simple like a flush draw it is pretty easy to memorize, but put me out there with AQ and any flop and I am doing nothing more than making my best guess. That is part of my problem,though. I can tell you what equity is, but I can't tell you how to use it in most cases. Looking at SSH and HEFAP I don't see where they say how to calculate this. Is there a better explanation on calculating this in ToP?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:47 AM

You really need to be able to compute equity at the table. I've recently explained how to do this, but I don't have a link on me right now. Either search my posts from the last week or 2, or pm me a reminder tomorrow & I'll post again. I'm going to bed, or I'd just type it now.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:05 AM

I ran 4BB/100 over 6500 hands at 1/2 back in December, but was playing a weaktight game postflop, and flatout running really good

got forced to drop down to .5/1, tuned my game up a fair amount, and am doing well at 6max now

spend time in the achives, post responses to hands others post .. think about situations, work on reading your opponents
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 AM

Take a break for about a week, and just do reading/2+2 forums. Re-read SSH and the 180 page microlimit post by that one Carpal /'Tunnel. The hand quizzes are VERY helpful, as they are very basic and typical situations, and if you can't get most of those right, then you need to re-read some more. I also find myself replying mostly to the easier posts on the 2+2 hands (ones with blazing errors), but not to the more difficult situations.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You really need to be able to compute equity at the table. I've recently explained how to do this, but I don't have a link on me right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean this post?

link

I will read this tomorrow and report back.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You really need to be able to compute equity at the table. I've recently explained how to do this, but I don't have a link on me right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean this post?

link

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's it.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean this post?

link

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was an excellent thread, I my understanding of equity fair but know it has been made crystal clear!

Thanks GrunchCan for taking the time.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:15 PM

I'm sure this has been covered before, but how much equity edge do we need to bet or raise? I can calculate my equity pretty well, but knowing if I should love it or hate it is a different story in the less than obvious situations.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:58 PM

In theory, you should be betting or raising whenever your equity is higher than your "fair share".

There are two issues that make this less clear-cut at game speed:

One, it is not always possible to calculate your equity with certainty. Errors in discounting your outs or mis-estimating what your opponents are holding can cause some murkiness in your equity calc, making borderline decisions harder.

Two, your fair share can change rapidly if there are opponents left to act behind you. If they fold when you are expecting them to call, you may see an equity edge turn into a deficit rather quickly as your "fair share" of the pot rises.

So, if you are certain that your outs will give you the nuts, and that all of your opponents are calling your raise, you should be raising with any amount of edge.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:26 PM

OK got it. I think I finally understand Pot Equity to the point that I can apply it....... in draw situations. The multiply by 4 on the flop, by 2 on the turn makes it pretty easy.

So my next question would be... How do you calculate pot equity when you think you might have the best hand??? After all when you are looking at 2 overcards with a rag flop and two opponents you can calculate your equity to be about 12% (because of the overcards) but what do you add to that to factor in that you might have the best hand? I have seen a lot of hand posts where those with overcards are told to raise, which indicated that the pot equity calculation must have put you over the 33% mark (in my example).

Poker is tough.