Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: How much is too much to call with an AA overpair?

Well, I put him on top pair up until the turn. But then he sets me all in when a K hits the river. So I figure my read must have been wrong and he must've flopped a set or turned a 7. Why's preflop so bad?
Adam
Old 04-24-2005, 10:53 PM

Preflop - This early in the tourney no one bats an eye lash at a raise to 100 or so with a limper in already you could push it even higher. Make it 100-140 to go and at least one of if not both of your callers still come along.

Flop - You have an over pair w/ a rainbow board. What is your possible motivation for wanting to keep the pot small? I believe anything less than 1/2 the pot is criminal and if the other guy bets you need to raise. If you take it down here so be it.

Turn - The board pairs and there is now a flush draw. Can you put vilian on a 7? If not bet the pot and take it down right now if he wants to play for all of your chips at this point you need to take it to the felt. The majority of the time you are ahead.

River - Don't get me started, it is too painful to even think about.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop-Make it 100-140 to go and at least one of if not both of your callers still come along.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mean to nitpick, but, I dont like raising to 7 BBs after one limper, thats a good way to get the minimum out of your AA. I would raise more than 3BBs though, 80 or 100 should do it.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:38 PM

You're wrong. This early in the tourney at least one if not both of them will come along for 140 almost as often as they do 80. Think about preflop action at this level this is not uncommon in the least. I'll often make my open raise 5 BBs at this stage and I don't see a significant drop off in my action compared to the guy who opens for 60.

-sloth