Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Default How much is too much to call with an AA overpair?

2nd level of Party $20NL. One EP limper. I have t960 and raise to t60 with AA in MP. One LP calls as well as originial limper.

Flop comes T75 rainbow and EP (stack of t1350)leads with t30. I want to play a small pot and the flop isn't so threatening so I just call and LP folds. Pot t270

Turn is T75 - 7 with two hearts on board. EP leads again with t225. At this point I put him on top pair and figure he doesn't want to see an overcard fall on the river. And just call again. Pot t720

River T757 - K No flush. EP leads for t645 which sets me all in. Hmmm. Folding was the right move here right?

Comments appreciated,
Adam
Old 04-24-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: How much is too much to call with an AA overpair?

If you had limped preflop, I could have told you that you misplayed this on all streets. By not raising you either let him catch up to you or bluff you out of the hand, both of which are very bad.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:34 PM

Bet more preflop, flop, and push turn. If you are putting villian on an over pair or top pair what are you afraid of? Horrendously played on every street IMHO and I really love that you called him down to the river and folded, yet never tell us what you are putting him on that makes you think you are beat.

In fact I don't even believe this really happened; I think you made it up to get a response. Well you got one.

-sloth
Old 04-24-2005, 10:39 PM

"Flop comes T75 rainbow and EP (stack of t1350)leads with t30. I want to play a small pot and the flop isn't so threatening so I just call and LP folds."

Your opponent bets 30 into a 210 pot and you just call??

I'd have reraised the pot. If he reraises you all in then you can try and decide whether he has a set or not.

Look at this hand from your opponents point of view. You make a big preflop raise and are never heard from again. On the flop, I'd put you on AK or other similar overcards that missed when you merely called that tiny bet.

There is a decent chance he is suckering you in with TT, but you should have pressed the issue sooner than later. By merely calling and then folding the river, you let him dictate how the hand played out.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 PM

Well, I put him on top pair up until the turn. But then he sets me all in when a K hits the river. So I figure my read must have been wrong and he must've flopped a set or turned a 7. Why's preflop so bad?
Adam
Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM

Yeah, I see how the absence of a raise on the flop created a multitude of problems. This is the first time I've tried not raising. It doesn't seem to work so well.
Adam
Old 04-24-2005, 10:47 PM

This is hilarious. I'd be hard pressed to find a case where AA was played any worse. If you put him on top pair on the turn, the river didn't help him. At all. You're beating AT, KT, QT, JT, 9T, 8T, 6T, 5T, 4T, 3T, 2T. So, in conclusion,

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. Folding was the right move here right

[/ QUOTE ]

How could folding be the right move if you thought you were winning on the turn, and the river could not have possibly helped him?

This is a bad joke post. I give it a double bogey.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Yeah, not raising was the big problem here which created problems later in the hand. I wouldn't have had to post this otherwise.
Adam
Old 04-24-2005, 10:53 PM

Preflop - This early in the tourney no one bats an eye lash at a raise to 100 or so with a limper in already you could push it even higher. Make it 100-140 to go and at least one of if not both of your callers still come along.

Flop - You have an over pair w/ a rainbow board. What is your possible motivation for wanting to keep the pot small? I believe anything less than 1/2 the pot is criminal and if the other guy bets you need to raise. If you take it down here so be it.

Turn - The board pairs and there is now a flush draw. Can you put vilian on a 7? If not bet the pot and take it down right now if he wants to play for all of your chips at this point you need to take it to the felt. The majority of the time you are ahead.

River - Don't get me started, it is too painful to even think about.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: OK, OK before you get all nuts + the RESULTs

Just so you know I'm not a complete idiot. If it were a cash game I would have bumped it a bit more PF. And once EP made a small probing bet, I would've made a significant raise on the flop. And if he were still around on the turn I would have pushed.

However, I have yet to come even close to the final table on one of these online MTT. So, I was experimenting with trying to minimize risk while building a stack. Guess this one didn't work.

By the way here are the results:
I never said I folded, but my reanalysis of the situation told me that I should have folded. I put the opponent on top pair until the turn, but when he sets me all in on the river when an overcard hits which would pair my supposed "AK" that mean's he has to be able to beat at least a pair of K's. So, like Pat said he either caught up or he's bluffing. And of course there's the chance he was ahead the whole time.

So, I put him on a turned 7 and called the all in for curiosity and education's sake. And yeah he had 67. I guess 20 bucks and all the berating was worth it.
Adam