Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Nose
yes 37 23.27%
no 122 76.73%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Death penalty poll

Assume you have been convicted of a crime and been awarded the death penalty. The Governor of the state you are in says he will pardon you but you must agree to life term of solitary confinement, no possibility of parole and that you will have access to nothing except food and water. You must also agree to never appeal to change this or its is back to the death penalty.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Death penalty poll

This is probably more apt in OOT that OOP, but I wouldn't like to live a life like that. I hate needles though, would prefer death by firing squad [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2005, 12:01 AM

We have been talking about punishment role of the DP in some of these threads. So, I thought this is the better forum.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:34 AM

I voted to accept life in solitary, although I can't be sure that 2+ years into my sentence I'd change my mind.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted to accept life in solitary, although I can't be sure that 2+ years into my sentence I'd change my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would change your mind. One thing I learned in survival training is that solitary confinement is a very effective means of breaking a person down. Thats why the various methods of commnication that the POWs developed in the Vietnam war were so vital.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:37 AM

I would imagine that many people would, immediately after being convicted, choose death over life without the possibility of parole, even without the solitary confinement stipulation. This is the reason why the recently incarcerated are often put under suicide watch.

For a convict facing life without parole, I imagine that the urge to committ suicide will subside with time (as the person adjusts to their fate). Although I would imagine that the urge to committ suicide would probably increase for those kept in solitary confinement (because it is such a brutal form of punishment).
Old 04-24-2005, 06:47 PM

No books. No TV. No computer. Never talking to anyone. Just left alone with my own thoughts and staring at four walls that would seem to keep getting closer and closer. No thanks.

Solitary confinement for life would be a punishment worse than death especially if there was no hope for appeal.