Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Good Customer Service...Or Excessive Slowplay?

I know there are a bunch of you that don't advocate slowplaying IN ANY WAY, but I believe this was a classic example of a correct slowplay:

-Flopped the absolute nuts.
-The only draw was to what I already had.
-Loose-passive table (which is why the EP limp w/ JTs in the first place.)
-Multiway pot, and a good opportunity to get overcalls.
-My bets getting a lot of respect.

The only question I have is, was it correct to slowplay for TWO streets here (the classic "don't lose any customers" line)?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, BB calls.

River: (11.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Good Customer Service...Or Excessive Slowplay?

It's a shitty situation to be in when the guy directly to your right is leading into you and the preflop raiser behind you doesn't raise.

I completely agree with calling the flop, but you should still raise this turn with the nuts + 4-flush. Think about the board and what people will continue to coldcall with. Any 6, and T, even pairs on that board will foolishly call. So raise the turn and go to war before the river.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Should've probably cut it off after the turn action. If you raised the turn, what do you think would have happened? Once the second spade comes on the turn, I think that I would've pulled the trigger.

This hand is fine. Just remember (and I'm sure you know) that you are giving up some expectation by waiting until the river. You're also letting people draw very cheaply against you, so your winning % will be lower, but your net win will be higher. (This isn't really for you, but everyone else).

Your limp is fine.

Since everyone went nuts on the river, nice hand. heh.

Waay off topic: Erik sent me some of y'alls stuff (Jagged and Pi) and it's really good. You've got some good riffs in there.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:07 PM

Make people with jacks pay to draw to a ten. At the very least go a little crazier on the turn.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:09 PM

I don't really get it myself. I probably would have raised the flop. I know I would have raised the turn.

Brad
Old 04-24-2005, 04:09 PM

Preflop is fine.

I'd definitely raise the turn, though raising the flop here has merits. Waiting for the river sucks. The thing about a 987 board is that you'll usually get lots of callers even when you raise. The other great thing is that you will bloat the pot and will often get people making looser calldowns by making the pot huge on the flop.

By waiting for the river, you ensure that you get the least amount of bets by people holding 6's and T's. This is bad.

Rob
Old 04-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Thanks, but I'm just a shadow (no pun intended) of what I used to be. Way out of practice.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:14 PM

Heh.

Entity has a good post, btw.